Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

COBie production from IFC

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to generate a COBie file from an ArchiCAD generated IFC using the COBie Toolkit 1.4.2 downloaded from the Graphisoft site. I am using a macbook pro. When I launch the application, the COBie Toolkit Starter window opens and I can initialise the system to populate the window with Java feedback. But what I am not sure about is where to go from here. How do you launch the COBie Toolkit Beta window with the 'Import/Export/Report' option?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Tamas Eros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear JBelk,
If you get to the point when the COBie Toolkit 1.4 dialog opens, use the upper Import button to read the IFC file that you wish to convert.
Then use Export/Report to convert it. You have to select the file type on the Save dialog.
COBie SpreadsheetXML (2003) is the most common format.
It is worth to mention the Options button of the Toolkit. By default certain IFC entities (for example the walls) are not converted to the Spreadsheet. You can set this ignored entities template under Options/Object IDM (Ignored Entities). Please note that you have to do this setting prior to importing the IFC file.
Hope I could help, let me know if you have further questions.
Best regards,
Tamas
Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 10.29.27 AM.png
Tamas Eros
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT
Follow us on Twitter
GRAPHISOFT HelpCenter - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tamas, thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I can only get the startup window. The toolkit window/dialogue does not open. Do you know if I need to change any settings to get this to open?

Thanks
Tamas Eros
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,
As far as we know the only required thing to run the 1.4 version of the toolkit is Java 7 64 bit. If you do not have Java you can install it via java.com.
May you have multiple versions of Java, in this case you can try uninstalling Java 1.6.
If you have access to a computer that runs Windows, try using the toolkit there. Installing and uninstalling Java is easier on Windows.
Regards,
Tamas Eros
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT
Follow us on Twitter
GRAPHISOFT HelpCenter - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tamas,

I am running a mac with Mavericks as the OS. I have updated Java to version 7 and deleted older versions.

When I launch the COBie toolkit, the COBie Toolkit Starter window opens and I can start the system. Part of the message in the startup window states:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/erdc/cobie/toolkit/gui/CobieToolkitGui : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Not sure whether this helps to explain the problem.

The main COBie Toolkit 1.4 dialog never appears.

Regards

Jeff
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi! I found one problem that some IFC type elements cannot be imported in COBie - especially ifcWalltype, ifcColumntype, ifcBeamtype. Did anybody had the same issue?
Anonymous
Not applicable
ifcSlabs also!!

Ivana

iburcar@grad.hr wrote:
Hi! I found one problem that some IFC type elements cannot be imported in COBie - especially ifcWalltype, ifcColumntype, ifcBeamtype. Did anybody had the same issue?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I could not use it on MAC also, only on Windows!

Ivana
JBelk wrote:
I am trying to generate a COBie file from an ArchiCAD generated IFC using the COBie Toolkit 1.4.2 downloaded from the Graphisoft site. I am using a macbook pro. When I launch the application, the COBie Toolkit Starter window opens and I can initialise the system to populate the window with Java feedback. But what I am not sure about is where to go from here. How do you launch the COBie Toolkit Beta window with the 'Import/Export/Report' option?

Thanks