BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Cadimage Wall Framing

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, I've just downloaded Cadimage, but after reading the manual I still don't get how you actually place frames. I've watched the tutorials too, and when going through them I have some options that aren't what the tutorial shows i.e a dialog box doesn't come up or there is no settings option.

I realise that this is probably too ' beginner ' type, but I really want to use the tool ! Any basic advice to create the framework ?

Thank You
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
This tool can be a bit tricky to set up. You have to make sure you have the frame and member definitions loaded and properly set up before you can successfully apply them to the composite types. The defaults that come with it are Aus/NZ standards and are probably not what you are looking for but may serve to try it out. Reread the instructions carefully. If it is not set up properly it won't work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I'll re-read the manual to see what's up ... Is the tool worth it in the end or would I be better creating the structure manually ( bearing in mind the windows )
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
Ok, I'll try again... Is the tool worth it in the end or would I be better creating the structure manually ( bearing in mind the windows )
It all depends on how much of it you have to do and how much you want to learn to use the tool. If you are just modeling a single house it may be easier to put the frames together out of bits and pieces. You will also learn a lot more about construction methods this way.

To get the most out of the Cadimage tool you really have to have pretty good knowledge of framing methods to get it set up properly and to recognize when it's not right.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
NStocks wrote:
Ok, I'll try again... Is the tool worth it in the end or would I be better creating the structure manually ( bearing in mind the windows )
It all depends on how much of it you have to do and how much you want to learn to use the tool. If you are just modeling a single house it may be easier to put the frames together out of bits and pieces. You will also learn a lot more about construction methods this way.

To get the most out of the Cadimage tool you really have to have pretty god knowledge of framing methods to get it set up properly and to recognize when it's not right.
I see. Well I'm currently looking into how I can make custom windows, but even then I will need to add battens/jacking to the window wouldn't I... I wouldn't think that a window will automatically create these for me.

Thank You
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's still not clear to me why you are modeling the stud frames nor why you are using stud framing with timbers (kind of like building one house with the material for two).

You can make custom windows out of any parts you like by laying them out in plan and then saving the 3D model as a library part. This is explained pretty well in the GDL Reference Manual (I think it's tho only how-to section in this otherwise cryptic volume).
Anonymous
Not applicable
The reason why I wanted to model the studs with individual timbers ( column tool ) is so that I can show the ' skeleton' or the framing of the building ( see image )

I guess I don't really need to show this really, but I wanted to show the building in 3D as no body else in my studio will be doing this as they are either lazy or don't use ArcihCAD which means that I'm making more effort and I feel that if you have a 3D view, it's easier to visualise the building... I think that instead of using studs ( clarification on this please ), that I will just use the wall tool, set it to the required thickness of a timber frame, have no fill, draw the building like this then insert windows. Then, when I come to creating detailed sections i.e 3 time larger than a outline section I can manually draw the construction and details using 2D tools.

I can still show 3D cutaway's of the building to show the layout and how it functions etc.

I'm certainly looking into custom windows, but I'm not too good with 3D library parts.

Thank You very much.
Timber_Frame_Homes_Weoka_Creek_3D_timber_frame_drawing.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you may be confusing sticks (studs etc.) and timbers. The image you show is a timber frame. Not a stud in sight, only columns, beams, purlins, etc.

Post and beam construction is fundamentally different from stick built methods. (This is true for both steel and wood framing.) Once you have a post and beam structure there is (typically*) no need for structural stud walls. Any stud framing is either partition or cladding.

As far as what to model, the general rule is to model any post and beam structure but the leave the studs implied by the modeled wall volumes (whether in structural or non-structural walls). Posts and beams have a way of significantly affecting all other aspects of the design and engineering while stick framing is specifically intended to hide inside the walls and interact only with some of the hidden pipes and wires.

* An exception being sheer walls for seismic considerations.
Erika Epstein
Booster
As you are a student, you can for free use Framewright
They have all the custom timber framing pieces you need.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
c2architect
Newcomer
I have the CadImage Wall Framing tool and set up a pretty exhaustive and detailed set-up. Matt is correct in what he says in terms of knowledge of construction. Once the settings are established the tool works very well. There are some subtle nuances that need to be dealt with but once you understand how to use it - it works well.

If you would like to have the .dat file of the settings send me a private message.
Chad Conrad, AIA
AC8.1 - AC21, EcoDesigner Star, MEP Modeler, CADImage Tools (various), Artlantis 5 Studio
15" MBP OSX 10.6+, iMAC OSX 10.6+
Learn and get certified!