Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Calculation with Modules

TomWaltz
Participant
Has anyone found a way to assign any kind of ID to a Module, so you could create a schedule of modules placed, or sort elements in a schedule by the module they occur in?
Tom Waltz
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
TomWaltz wrote:
Has anyone found a way to assign any kind of ID to a Module, so you could create a schedule of modules placed, or sort elements in a schedule by the module they occur in?
Hi Tom,

Offhand, I don't see a good/clean way, even with the API.

The EIDM knows about the host module, for example, but the IS doesn't. I don't see host module in the list scheme criteria, and it isn't something that is part of the SQL/ODBC tables either that I recall.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Thanks, Karl

that's what I was afraid of. I was trying to get some kind of "unit schedule" put together, and maybe even some kind of Zone marker that could be used in a module, and read the ID of the module, so the room number could be different every time the module was placed.

I can't even guess where to start on that one! This one may have to be shelved until some later date (Archicad 10, 11, 12......)
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for your confidence in my opinion, Tom 😉 but I don't pretend to know all... someone else may know a way! 😉

If it is indeed not possible (as it seems), it should be part of a major overhaul of the calculation functions in a future version.

Regards,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Karl

I trust your opinion. Wasn't there some old Star Trek line about trusting Spock's guesses more than other people's facts?

I would think the only thing it would require would be to treat modules as an element type, which has a default settings menu that can accept parameters, such as ID. There kind of is one already which sets insertion height and master layer. Why not a few more?
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
TomWaltz wrote:
Wasn't there some old Star Trek line about trusting Spock's guesses more than other people's facts?
Thanks, Tom.
I would think the only thing it would require would be to treat modules as an element type, which has a default settings menu that can accept parameters, such as ID. There kind of is one already which sets insertion height and master layer. Why not a few more?
Or... to treat modules as part of a hierarchy... IMHO layers should be able to be nested in a tree structure (particularly to accomodate modules and xrefs), and the elements of nested hotlinked modules might perhaps have ID strings that reflect the nesting (or optionally expose the base "leaves" if someone wants a flat element list). The EIDM and all Calculate functions should accomodate this kind of hierarchy (again IMHO).

Live long and prosper...

Karl