Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Call one or more elements from external file

jc4d
Expert

Hello,

I have a IFC model and I would like to place into an Archicad file some objects from that IFC file (I know the name of those objects already). Is it possible to do it?

Juan

5 REPLIES 5
gdford
Advisor

The answer is yes but probably not...

There is a lot going on here and you have not given enough information.
What software generated the IFC file?

It is possible to set up the IFC import translator to exclude some standard IFC element types... The odds of this helping are slim, but  you never know.... Learning how to set up the translator is a task in-its-self... If it were me, and this was a one-off, and not a weekly thing i needed to do for months, I would import the ifc file into a new instance Archicad. Either delete or hide everything you don't want to see in a 3D window - then copy the objects you want and paste them into your project.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
jc4d
Expert

The IFC as far as I know is coming from Solibri, more than that is unknown for me.

@gdfordwrote
I would import the ifc file into a new instance Archicad

Something along those lines I was thinking, we need to have a pla/pln to be able to do something.

This would be a weekly task or whenever the models are updated by the designers.

What we have done so far is this (for me is way too complicated):

- Imported the IFC and break the reference link.
- Selected the objects and exported as a mod.
- Brought in another empty model and break the link again. Move what we need to the right layers.
- Final mod.

One time task is okeish, but not as a regular task.

Juan

Have you asked the folks sending you the IFC file if they can only send you what you want? That would help. If you can get a clean model then you can set up the IFC import to receive the updates and not have to do everything from scratch every time.

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
gdford
Advisor

If you are going to be importing an updated IFC file every week then you need to get someone to read all of the documentation from Archicad on IFC import and update and you need to set up a practice project to make sure you understand what is going on.

Are you changing layer names or stories of the imported IFC objects?

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

I just found out that we can save a mod from selected objects only which speed up a little bit the process. I think that saving a module from selected objects only and keep it linked, only those objects are going to be updated if the ifc gets an update (not sure, just my logic saying this).

@gdford wrote:

Are you changing layer names or stories of the imported IFC objects?

Yes, we need to send the objects to the right layer/stories. Right now is a manual process, and I'm not sure if that can be done while keeping the module linked or needs to be unlinked first.

Sorry if this are kind of vage answers, I'm just the messanger here since my task is to create gdl objects only. But I like a good challenge anyway 🙂