BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can I (easily) import a .vwx Vectorworks file?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We received a Vectorworks file from a previous Architect. Is there a way to open this without pestering them to change the format or to use IFC?

The typical "merge" command does not work.

Thanks,
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
If the 30 day free trial lets you save an IFC, then that might be the easiest way:

http://www.vectorworks.net/trial/form
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl.
Karl Ottenstein
You're welcome. Please post back if it is successful... at least with saving the IFC. Their free trial might be like AC's demo mode which doesn't allow saving files... I've never tried VW...
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well... it was sort of successful. I downloaded the trial (seems like a full version, you can export to IFC) and exported the file. Then imported into AC, but the results were not as expected. Supposed to be floor plans.

I'll try as a dwg.
Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 9.10.12 AM.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
DWG export was successful. I think the original file was mostly 2D with 3D parts for plumbing fixtures, which were lost in translation and came through as those blocky blobs.
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for sharing the info on the trial. Knowing that it seems to be a full version with save capabilities will help some of us in the future.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, a Vectorworks Trial version is a 30-day fully functional version, just like in case of ArchiCAD Trial. You can do everything with it until the 30 day expires.

I was wondering that the way you save that IFC from Vectorworks might matter. I am not that familiar with it, this is just an idea: try to display the 3D model of the file in Vectorworks (not its Floor Plan View) and save as IFC then.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
schagemann
Enthusiast
Sorry for the late reply - we are in fact operating both Vectorworks and ArchiCAD in tandem with one of our clients.

Your best bet is using DWG's to export, then place a plan drawing to avoid polluting your ArchiCAD file with the VW attributes.

The obvious irony here is that Graphisoft is owned by Nementschek / Vectorworks...
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
schagemann wrote:
The obvious irony here is that Graphisoft is owned by Nementschek / Vectorworks...
It is a bit different: both Graphisoft and Vectorworks are owned by Nemetschek.
But I get what you are referring to.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!