Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Can an Architectural graduate become a BIM manager?

furtonb
Advisor
Do you think that on-the-job training might be enough to bridge the gap?
Sure, you can learn on the fly - it's certainly more than I received when I started working, and I managed (I'm mostly self taught).

Technically, you can become proficient in the tools, you can get certificates, but BIM is about virtually designing and managing construction processes. That part you won't learn in front of the computer - but the same applies for any "office design" job.

To be good in "BIM", or going further, managing multiple disciplines, you need to be good in building construction (if you had BC courses at the university, you are most probably set to go) and communication - you won't know anything about a lot of fields (I assume you graduated as an architect), keep an open mind and never stop asking, be curious about anything that crosses your path.

I would start practicing communication with your prospective office: share your doubts with them. I think no one sane will ask you to do things or put responsibility on your shoulders that you wouldn't be able to bear. But not applying pressure also means you won't have external factors that require you to develop. Don't take on too much pressure, that will break you and you will experience burnout sooner than later.

It's a delicate game, start playing! Good luck!
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The original post was spam, so I deleted it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
furtonb
Advisor
Is it just me, or are these getting more and more common lately?:(
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, unfortunately, there have been quite a few of them recently. And users do not see most of them because the other moderators and me continually delete them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27