BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can open DWG with AC7 but not with AC9

Gorazd
Booster
Hi everyone

Many times we have a problem, that dwg file can be opened with AC7, but if we open it with AC9 we get blank screen. Then I try to open this file in acad 2005 and I get a message, that some external acad programs are missing (some surveying modules), but it opens the file. I save it again, and then have no trouble open it in AC9. The same goes with some files, that were made in ADT.

Does anybody know the solution for this, as I don't like to keep old AC versions and acad aside of my AC9. Is there a command in acad, that they should execute, before send that dwg file to me?
------

Gorazd Rajh

AC 25, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the problem of not being able to import a 3d .dwg file into AC7-can you please offer advice?
Eduardo Rolon
Try using the "purge" command in AutoCAD to clean the drawing up, verify that there are no missing X-ref files. Also verify the layers in AutoCAD since the "survey" module usually creates a lot of useless (for architects) 3d information that you can erase prior to merging the file. As for AC07 opening the files vs AC09 verify the translator settings to see if both are the same, specifically the paper space options (the sometimes culprit for empty drawings) and units. Though this is a very strange problem.
For the 3d dwg import verify that the AutoCAD file is saved in R2000 format since I don't believe that AC07 can open files made with R2004. Besides merging the file in the 3d window as a library part.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Andy wrote:
I'm having the problem of not being able to import a 3d .dwg file into AC7-can you please offer advice?
Are you using File > Import to open the DWG?

I believe that the only way to open a 3D DWG file is as a library part. You may not be too happy with the results though. The part will be only minimally parametric, the polygons will be triangulated, the model is (as I recall) surfaces only (not solid), and the resulting script is long and complicated (pretty much uneditable).
Djordje
Ace
Andy wrote:
On top of all the advice already given - make sure that it is in the AutoCAD format 7 can read.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!