Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can't Read PC CD with OS X

Dave Jochum
Advocate
This is not AC related, but I've searched the Apple knowledge base, MacWorld forum, and this one, and can't find anyone else with this problem. I have a CD-R from a surveyor (on PC with ACad) with a project's survey in DXF format. When I first received it I could read it just fine. I'm not sure what version of OS X I was using at the time, but know it was prior to 10.3.2 which I am using now. Now my 'puter tells me the disc is unreadable. I doubt the disc has become corrupted, because it has just been sitting in its case in a drawer for the last couple of months, though of course it's possible. My CD drawer has occasionally been opening on bootup for no reason as well. Any Mac-heads have similar problems or advice?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
3 REPLIES 3
Dwight
Newcomer
Your best chance to read the CD is to put it in at startup.
Dwight Atkinson
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Dwight wrote:
Your best chance to read the CD is to put it in at startup.
Thanks, Dwight--it worked. I can't remember ever hearing that tip. Do you know why it works?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Dwight
Newcomer
I think that the system looks harder at startup - probably before any interfering extensions can insert a new, troublesome driver into the loading sequence that might select fewer format options.

I had some trouble like this once [obviously]. I discovered the technique because I left the unreadable disc in the holder. The next restart caused it to appear, hence the advice.

Another tip: If your G5 has a little red light on and the fans run only at full speed, your RAM is installed wrong. Guess how I discovered that.

Given enough rope, I would discover America by getting lost, but I think that it has been done.
Dwight Atkinson