BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Can't Upload Library

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just shared my first project in 17. One out of the three libraries failed to upload to the BIM server. Checked permissions, all is as it should be. When I go to "Manage BIM Server Libraries", click "Upload", and choose my library folder it gives me the "One or more characters in this file name are not valid on a Windows platform" message even though there aren't any of those characters in the name. Plus, we're an all Mac office, so I don't care about windows platform. I click "OK", and it instantly pops up with a "Failed to Upload Library" message. When I just try to add the library from the Library Manager, the "OK" button is grayed out unless i navigate to a single file, it won't accept folders! This library worked fine in the Solo model. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated
12 REPLIES 12
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
It appears that ArchiCAD 18 is even more stringent about the Windows naming conventions than 17 was. Specifically, it will kick out bad library parts when the project is shared to TeamWork/BimServer 18, even if it worked fine in a solo PLN file, and even in the Embedded Library.

Besides the bad characters in the filename ( \ / : * ? " < > | ), BimServer 18 also refuses to use library parts that have no file extension (Mac people used to shun extensions). I've been using Automator workflows and elbow grease to try to fix many of these archived libraries and add GSM extensions… but my Mac office has a lot of skeletons in the closet that predate me.

In some cases, it will not even recognize a fixed part, especially when the extension is added. We have to manually go in to find and replace the offenders.

I can certainly understand wanting to fix cross-platform compatibility issues moving forward, but resurrecting old Mac projects is becoming harder all the time… especially as the economy picks up, and we are welcoming old clients that we haven't seen in 15 years!

Anything that can be done to automatically fix broken parts would be much appreciated. If anyone has any tips or tools, please share.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried to get the BIM-Server 18 to work but got stuck on the upload library part. Pln-files working just fine but as you try to Share it gets stuck on Library upload. After a long long time I get "Failed to upload library" with a chance to retry or cancel.

After some trial and error I discovered that if you extract the .lcf file you can load all the different parts to the server, not from top level, you have to select the archives inside the extracted archive and then it works fine.
The attached image shows the archive "Objektbibliotek 18" after extracted from "Objektbibliotek 18.lcf". All the marked archives works but not the top one.

Eh why? what's the diff? Doesn't have anything to do with the name or wrong characters. And why can I upload everything after it's been extracted?

Is it something with the compressed .lcf?? I've used the "out of the digital box" INT and SWE library's.
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
In ArchiCAD18 BIM Server you need to be careful of a whole range of extra special characters. I believe it has to do with the move to http as the mechanism for communication with the server.

We recently had to remove "&" from our library folder names to get libraries to upload to the BIM server. These were libraries we have had in the office for more than 7 years with no problems with previous Teamwork Servers.

Best to just stick to letters and numbers...
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
Learn and get certified!