Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Can we work with external database in Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Archicad User

can we work with external database in archicad ?for calculations purpose materials
12 REPLIES 12
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ralph are the Codebook and NBS Building add-ons current and working? I wasn't aware that there was a current solution to connect to codebook.

We've been asked by a local QS software company to link to their program. I assume an add-on is the only way to go for bidirectional connectivity, but for a one way path, can labels, keynotes, or property objects be passed through IFC? Do you know?

Cheers,
Link.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Link wrote:
Ralph are the Codebook and NBS Building add-ons current and working? I wasn't aware that there was a current solution to connect to codebook.
We've been asked by a local QS software company to link to their program. I assume an add-on is the only way to go for bidirectional connectivity, but for a one way path, can labels, keynotes, or property objects be passed through IFC? Do you know?
Yes, the Codebook and NBS Building add-ons are fully operational. The add-ons provide bi-directional communication with an external application so, for example, Codebook can direct a series of commands at ArchiCAD to open create a layout, open it, and place views, labels, and schedules.

I'm currently developing another add-on specifically for an architectural firm to link its existing document management system to ArchiCAD, for automating the creation and management of drawings, and tracking revisions/issues. This is also bi-directional, but primarily driven from the external database.

I think an add-on is the only way to provide automated bi-directional communication. The alternative is to save and merge intermediary files, and I imagine IFCs could be used that way. However, that approach is slow, limited in scope, and error-prone.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
That's really interesting. Thanks for your reply and I may be in touch privately depending on how things pan out here.

Cheers,
Link.