BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Change Types In Preview?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I created a door with a few dozen parameters specific to our company. I then made a schedule with those parameters. Now I want to change the type on some of those parameters, but when I do, the type doesn't change in the schedule -- it stays there as the old type. As far as I can tell, the only way to fix it is to delete the old parameter and add the updated one. Is there a better way of changing the type without rebuilding the schedule?
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Jay,

Too many ambiguous words for my morning-brain. 😉 By type do you mean style, or typeface... The parameter thing could be an issue of subtype param names not matching your param names... Sorry. Just can't tell what you're asking.

Can you post a screenshot and explain in more detail?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was hoping you could read my mind...

By "type" I mean text, pen, integer, etc.. I have several integer parameters that I am trying to change to text parameters.
Karl Ottenstein
Ah.

I think you found the workaround for a subtle design flaw. So, I guess the rule is to make up your mind before making your schedule! 😉

Seriously though, I just tested to verify that the I.S. does not dynamically determine the data type of the fields retreived, but rather reads that type at the time the field is added to a schedule. If the data type is subsequently changed, the I.S. checks that and displays nothing if the types do not match. I created multiple fields for the same parameter, each with a different data type to see this behavior.

You could make a wish that the I.S. should dynamically change the type of any fields to that of the data retreived? (This would not always work, since there could be a combination of matching elements and params that were mistakenly programmed some with one data type and some with another....but the behavior would be no worse than today, and in cases such as yours, would be better. 😉 )

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!