Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Circles to Autocad

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm exporting dwg files from Archicad 9 to Autocad Lite (2002 I think).

Everything exports fine except my circles. In Autocad, they look extremaly coarse, much like crude polygons (octagons or the like). I guess there's a setting somewhere to fix this but I can't find it. Anyone?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
18 REPLIES 18
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Thomas,
It's an AutoCAD thing. Whilst in AutoCAD you will need to do a regen command.
That should fix it.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks, Ben! No work for me then - I'll inform the consultants!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
No problems.
Funny how they don't know that them selfs You can even change the on screen resolution in AutoCAD, but unfortunately I can't rember the command for it.

This is going to go down well, a MAC ArchiCAD user telling an AutoCAD user how to use their CAD system.

No offence to AutoCAD users but, ya gotta love it.
Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
TomWaltz
Participant
This is going to go down well, a MAC ArchiCAD user telling an AutoCAD user how to use their CAD system.
Are you kidding?

In 10 years of using CAD, I have spent maybe 6 months of it on AutoCAD. I cannot believe how many people use it all day long, and know less than I do.

I guess that's the problem with product saturation. Everyone with Excel thinks he's an accountant, everyone with Word thinks he's an author, everyone with AutoCAD thinks he can be a consultant 🙂
Tom Waltz
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Tom,
You would not belive how true your statement really is!
I come across this problem daily, our users of ArchiCAD have to contact consultants using AutoCAD and tell them what to do.
Mind baffling really. As you said it has to do with that there are so many people out there with AutoCAD.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Eduardo Rolon
Ben wrote:
Thomas,
It's an AutoCAD thing. Whilst in AutoCAD you will need to do a regen command.
That should fix it.

Cheers.
Ben
The actual command is viewres which controls how many segments are used for the display of circles and ellipses. I usually set it up to 20000 units. In any case the plot from AutoCAD should be fine since it is a display setting from when AutoCAD used to run on 386's machines.
And YES I was an AutoCAD user...
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Ben Odonnell
Contributor
eduardo,
Thank you for the command name. Just out of curiosity, what was or is the command for, was it due to the lack of processing power?

One more question, couldn't it be taken away now? With todays computers it shouldn't be a problem to display hi res vector graphics as in ArchiCAD.

Cool that you made the jump from AutoCAD to ArchiCAD MAC.
How was the transition?

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Eduardo Rolon
just out of curiosity, what was or is the command for, was it due to the lack of processing power?
Yes it was I remember my first compaq, 50mhz 486, 200mb hd, 8mb ram and 2mb video card and I was the envy of my schoolmates.
One more question, couldn't it be taken away now?
I think so but there are still so many legacy things in AutoCAD in their software and the way the users work that I still wonder how people can be productive using it. Up until ACAD 2004 there was a bug that if you used the fillet (used like the intersect command in AC) command it will always was set to create a 1/2" circle at the intersection, so you were drawing along and things that should measure 10' were actually 9'-11.5" and all snap points were gone to hell. The other one they have not fixed even with the 2005 Version is that when you start a drawing even though you specify Imperial Units ACAD does not recognizes them and it starts in decimal mode. And the list goes on.
Cool that you made the jump from AutoCAD to ArchiCAD MAC.
How was the transition?

I started using Classics and Quadra's a long time ago switched to PC because of AutoCAD and 3d Studio but kept using a friends mac for PhotoShop, PageMaker and ElectricImage. I bought my AC license because I started to work on my own and since I teach I was looking to improve the curriculum for the School and wanted to explore other software (Didn't help that AutoDesks reps are $#^*&# not the local reseller but the company big shots).
So I was happy with my ThinkPad A31p until I bought an iPod (Nov03) and was sucked back into OS X because of Panther. Now my wife has the ThinkPad and as she sees me happy with my PB she is actually pushing for me too buy a dual G5 with all assorted goodies as long as I either giver her either the PB or a new iMac and her own AC licence.
My only trouble with the PB was the lack of a right click button on the mouse but since I knew about it I just bought a MX900.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
I'm astonished that there would be trouble with sending simple circles to AutoCAD since we here at ArchiCAD have been sending them the finger for some time.
Dwight Atkinson