Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Classifications in Modules AC23

DGSketcher
Legend
I have created some modules in which I have applied Classifications to elements. I have noticed some of these are incorrect in the host schedule. Opening up the .Mod file to make the relevant changes I have found the categories list has been truncated to only those used in the .Mod file. The consequence of this is the Classifications I need to apply are not available, the only solution is to "Break" the original Hotlink in the source file, change the Classification and resave it.

Two inevitable observations:
Why when all other attributes seem to be available in a Mod file are Categories compromised.
If we could "open" & edit modules in the host drawing missing attributes shouldn't be a problem.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
Modules only contain the attributes that they use.
When you open a MOD file you will see those attributes, but I think it also loads the attributes from the last file you had open.
I am not 100% sure about that but I think that is the case.
I am not sure then why the classifications are not there from the last file as well, unless they were different there too.

Can you import the classification into the MOD file (you can export them from your master file)?
Or you can link to a PLN file instead, so save as PLN rather than MOD.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Hi Barry,

That is my understanding as well, that the MOD file only contains the essentials, but all attributes seem to be available from the host file when editing the MOD.

The Classification lists are definitely truncated including the defaults used in the original AC template file.

I did try to import my Classifications and apply them in the MOD but the changes didn't surface in the host file until the MOD was exploded. After this, I tried to resave to the same MOD file name but this resulted in losing all associative annotations. The solution was to just use groups as exploding kept the associations.

Fortunately, this was a small project that was used to test the module workflow that I abandoned years ago. Seems things aren't much improved. I am going back to my old workflow of not using modules...

Increasingly convinced that the fix for this is GS needs to enable in-host module saving & editing much like you can with the Curtain Wall tool, particularly where the contents are only required in the host. This would then provide library parts that can be readily edited and also contain associative data without resorting to GDL. Shared "modules" can still use the PLN file.

Thanks for the response. I have reported the Classification limitation as a bug.

Trevor
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Jan Vlach
Advocate
I am still on 22 but dealing with the same issue. By the logic of things, the workaround could be having the module saved as *.pln. I suppose that .pln should hold the whole classification system. My workaround is to manually import classifications as needed. Needless to say, that is less than Ideal. I also agree it would be great if we could "Edit in place" (like reference files in AutoCAD). (Also the possibility to list whole modules as singe part in schedules would be great)
From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7
DGSketcher
Legend
You can use *.PLN but the data storage difference is huge. I have submitted a file for investigation containing a single wall, the *.PLN is 29.2Mb the module containing the wall is only 0.8Mb. If AC is opening each of those files & reading the contents a .MOD file will place a much smaller load on your computer.
DGSketcher
Legend
@skawagon: I have had a response from GS and they are aware of the problem. If this is also an issue for you please notify your support provider. The more a bug is reported the greater the priority for getting it fixed.
Tim Ball
Expert
I use a workflow that has been around for some time.

Place the mod file source on its own storey in the same file. That way all the attributes are the same and everything changes when you edit them.

You can automate the mod file save using publisher to make the process even quicker.
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
DGSketcher
Legend
Thanks for the suggestion Tim but I struggle with this method as I am building one off complex framing assemblies, typically about 35 of them on each job, and really just need a way to keep the various elements reliably grouped & locked together. Grouping isn't reliable and locking is another awkward layer of management. With the storey method it doubles up the file size and cloned storey views loose their value. There is a long standing wish for in-place editing also requested by some very large and influential design firms but so far Graphisoft have ignored all the wish requests. This would solve most of the problems.

I appreciate you are a big advocate of detailed modelled components & assemblies, how do you keep all the various assembled components exactly where you want them?
Tim Ball
Expert
I have each mod file on its own storey
I haven't found any problem with lots of storeys yet, but I don't have 35 different assemblies
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5