BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Computer for BIMcloud Server

Narska
Advocate

I just bought a mac mini, so I have a dedicated always-on (never sleeps) computer to host my company's BIMcloud basic server.

I'm really happy with the setup.

What do you use to host your server?

I've had a computer burn a hard drive out after two years of nonstop hosting of my BIM server. Has anyone experienced this?

Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
15 REPLIES 15

Remember that all projects have a local copy on each computer that accesses the server. Your server could burn up any moment, and you would not lose a thing.

Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
Lingwisyer
Guru

True, but does any office work purely in AC? Or do you resort to spending extra on a second server? Though I guess you could put all your Adobe files onto their cloud, and all the Microsoft files onto theirs, etc... or all the rest onto Dropbox or Onedrive...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I have a small office, and yes, I have a computer that is just a server, and we are militantly only Archicad. My AC files are local to the server and only get up in the cloud when we back up every couple of days.

Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect

We have a Synology server for our work files, and our Bimcloud mac Mini is solely for AC24 files.

thanks for sharing. I am looking also into replacing the trashcan Mac Pro for a M1 Mac mini. Do you have 8gb or 16gb or ram?

8gb is prob enough, the server doesn't use that much.

The main thing is to get a 1 terabit harddrive, as bimcloud files and backups get big quickly.

Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
Learn and get certified!