Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Converting Fonts to Autocad

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI!,
I can't get my font translation to work.
Althoug I state the substitutions to fonts I wan't, When oppend in Autocad, all the non Arial fonts are standard font.

Any help on this one, please?

Best regards,

António Pina
21 REPLIES 21
Djordje
Ace
Antonio wrote:
I can't get my font translation to work.
Althoug I state the substitutions to fonts I wan't, When oppend in Autocad, all the non Arial fonts are standard font.
Could we see the screenshot of your Translator font section?

Use the Forum!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rick Thompson
Expert
I don't know if this will help, but this was sent to me by support. I still have my issue, which sound similar, but my fonts are stacked on top of each other. I thought I followed the advice below, but have not has sucess. I tried to attach the file but evidently can't attach an xml file:(

Dear Mr Thompson,

In the attached picture you ordered an ArchiCAD font to an AutoCAD STYLE (!) instead of an AutoCAD font.
In earlier versions (before 8.0)one could set font-style AND font-font conversion pairs in the config.txt file.
From ArchiCAD 8.0 only the font-style matching can be set in the dialogue. Font-font conversion is now automatic according to a built-in conversion table.

To properly make font transcriptions you should do either of the following:

1:
Prepare a DWG or DXF document in AutoCAD. In this file define a STYLE that refers the font required (For example create a style named ARIAL with a font type Arial CE)

Save this project onto your HD.
In ArchiCAD make a font-style matching (as shown in the pdf you sent). Note that you should use the same STYLE as you defined in the DWG file. (ARIAL)

In Translation Setup/Save Options page click on the magnifier icon (browse) near Template File for Additional Settings field and search for the DWG (DXF) you just created. Now it will serve as a template so when you link an AC font to an AutoCAD style the replaced font will be taken from the style you pre-set in this template.

2:
Create a fontconv.xml by using any text editor. In this file define the font matching you want (MrHand -> Arial)(see syntax in the attached example xml document)

In Translation Setup/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous options page click on the magnifier icon (browse) near Font Conversion File and search for the xml you just created. Now font conversion will be performed according to the font-font pairs set in this document instead of the built-in conversion table.

I hope this would be of your help.
Please try again and let me know the result.

Thank you very much

Best regards,

Laszlo
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Rick Thompson
Expert
Rick wrote:
I tried to attach the file but evidently can't attach an xml file:(
I will copy/paste some or the attachment for reference
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- The XML model of the DXF font conversion table -->
<FontConv>
	<Version val="1"/>
	<FontConvTable items="311">
		<Item AC="Lucida Console Western"             ACAD="Lucida Console"                 FONTFAMILY="LUCON.TTF"                      FONTID="53"/>

<Item AC="Lucida Console Greek"               ACAD="Lucida Console"                 FONTFAMILY="LUCON.TTF"                      FONTID="41269"/>

<Item AC="Lucida Console Turkish"             ACAD="Lucida Console"                 FONTFAMILY="LUCON.TTF"                      FONTID="41525"/>
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Djordje
Ace
Rick wrote:
I tried to attach the file but evidently can't attach an xml file:(
You can attach a ZIP file; it is anyway better to attach ZIP or archived files in any case, as the encoding can damage a non-archived file.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Rick,

Thanks for passing that info along. Any idea where the value for "FONTID" in the XML comes from?

Curious,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hate to be that kind of people that's always complaining, but....

In this case, If I understand it rigth I'll have to have an Autocad licence to correctly convert to dxf or dwg?

Of course there's always the chance to ask a friend to make that template file, but the next time I use a differente font, I'll have to ask him again and so on.

This is not an option, of course. But maybe I didn´t understand it right.

I also didn't answer before because strangely, I couldn't register myself correctly. All ok now.

Let me congratulate Graphisoft or how ever started this new site that looks very nice. And also I'd like to thank who answered my question.

Thank you.

Now, obviously when someone in any kind of different activitie asks me for a dwg , and since I don't own a copy of autocad, I don't see myself spending hours, asking that person to make a template, and send it to me so maybe I can get my files right for him to see them.

Either archicad is dwg compatible (standalone) or is not. I need of course font-font conversion.

Forgive me I'm just trying to pass this disappointment fase. I'll get over it soon.

Best regards,

António Pina
Rick Thompson
Expert
Karl wrote:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for passing that info along. Any idea where the value for "FONTID" in the XML comes from?

Curious,
Karl
No, I have no idea, it's greek to me. I wish GS would design this stuff fro architechs, rather than computer programers...I would think that should be possible? Ferenc is going to help me get something done, so i will post that when he is done.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Karl Ottenstein
Rick wrote:
Ferenc is going to help me get something done, so i will post that when he is done.
Looking forward to it. I've found the font conversion (and a few other aspects of dwg import/export) to be about as cryptic as most aspects of the Calculate process.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
The key is of course the font conversion table.

What Graphisoft should do is to let users set up a tab-delimited text file table (easy in Excel, or any text editor) with the required data and make Archicad read that instead of the XML one.

The XML format lets you do many things, but it's not easy to create without dedicated tools.

Djordje, should I cross-post this one in the wishes section?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1