BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Converting from PowerCadd

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to open DWgs / DXFs created in PowerCADD, and only managing to open a blank document. If anyone has any ideas what to do I would appreciate them.

PowerCadd can of course open the files it created.

(Mac OSx with AC8)

Cheers
Matt
5 REPLIES 5
Djordje
Ace
Matt_bridgestock wrote:
I am trying to open DWgs / DXFs created in PowerCADD, and only managing to open a blank document. If anyone has any ideas what to do I would appreciate them.

PowerCadd can of course open the files it created.

(Mac OSx with AC8)
What kind of DWGs? Which version? Are you doing everything right from your side? Can they be opened in AutoCAD?

Tip: upgrade to ArchiCAD 8.1 is free.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
After posting this I realised 8.1 was free and have Just updated. However the problem persists. We dont have AutoCAD in the office but have got someone on the case checking it will work on that.

As I write this our ArchiCAD supplier has sent a procedure, going to give it a try.

matt
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I am wrong, ArchiCAD does open DWG /DXF files absolutly no problem. The problem is that I can't open files from the network. If I copy the files onto my desktop then they open no problem. This also applies to saving, only possible onto my desktop (or the local computer I suppose)

The procedure our supplier sent worked because the file he sent was saved onto my local drive. It still didnt work for on server files. Taken me a while to suss that out!

Any hints would be appreciated.

FYI I am now running ArchiCAD 8.1 (no updates) on OS X for the Mac. Server OS is unknown.

Cheers
Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matt-
My advice would be to run the latest updater - GS just posted a new one.

The last patch fixed a number of network related problems on the mac platform. It has been running fine here.

Wes
Geof Gainer
Booster
I find I usually can get all the info I need from an old (v4) PowerCADD file by simply copying from PowerCADD, pasting to ArchiCAD and re-scaling. It's only enough for creating a template, and layers are ignored but it's often all I need.

ps, I convert dashed lines into straight lines beforehand for a cleaner transition.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
Learn and get certified!