BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Cross platform using - font problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am dealing with a problem with fonts using ArchiCAD crossplatform mac/win.

Is there any functional solution for companies using both platforms? When we want to have schedules and any other graphics exactly the same on both platforms? The fact is, that win fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri) are not correct for shedules in mac because of they are not fully unicoded and we work with cze font families.

I red about Xreadcfg file, but I wasnt abble to make it funcional? Have anyone any advice? THX a lot.

M.
17 REPLIES 17
tsturm
Newcomer
i know the push is for folks to be using AC24 now. I have joined an office using AC22. I am Mac based and they are Windows. We are having this issue as well. Their default font is Arial. On the Windows system. The font is coming up as Arial with a sub language of Central European. On my Mac, I see the font as a substitute font being called [Arial Central European].

I see talk about this XReadCfg.txt file. Is there such a file for us Mac users?

See attached image.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
On Windows, for Archicad 24, this file is located at:

C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ARCHICAD 24 INT\Add-Ons

So you should find it in the Add-Ons folder of your Archicad version on Mac, too.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you manage to resolve this?
We are having exactly the same issues, if so, what is the issue?

Cheers
Chris

Da3dalus wrote:
We're still having problems with the font conversion, since we're now integrating Windows computers into our Mac office. We use a font called Swis721, which is similar to Arial/Arial Narrow, but much nicer. Even after it's installed in Windows, and the XReadCfg.txt is configured right (I checked it with tech support), it only works sporadically. Some computers, it's great, and sometimes, the fonts are substituted with something close, while others, the font substitution is illegible. All of these machines are identical and set up the same way! I'm a little rusty with Windows, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to control this default substitution in Windows 10.

I hate Microsoft so much. JMHO.
Sculptdesign
Booster
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Ash,

Thank you for the question and I am sorry about the issue!

I have sent you a link via Private Message, with which you can securely forward the file to us for further investigation.

Please let me know once you have finished uploading the file!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh
Hi Minh, sorry I missed this message and didn't see your private message. I'm still experiencing this problem so please could you send the PM again and I'll send you the font files.

Thanks!
ArchiCAD 26 Solo - Mac
tsturm
Newcomer
i cannot say we resolved the issue of the font. What I did do is make sure that on the Windows side of AC that the team there uses the Western version of Arial. This seems to give the best match between using the file on Mac and Windows. On the Mac side you just use Arial. Its the Windows side that you need to make sure the region is set to Western.

Hope this helps some folks out. I had this back using AC 22. Issue carries forward to AC 24.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Sculptdesign wrote:

Hi Minh, sorry I missed this message and didn't see your private message. I'm still experiencing this problem so please could you send the PM again and I'll send you the font files.

Thanks!
Hello Ash,

I have sent you a link again via Private Message, with which you can securely forward the file to us for further investigation. Please let me know once you have finished uploading the file!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

I found this thread while searching for a solution to this problem... not necessarily cross-platform, but when opening a file on a Mac with different fonts installed. I checked my XReadCfg.txt file, and it seems fine (showing the font Arial listed, which is what I want), however all my fonts got converted to something else when the project was opened on another Mac. Is there a way to bulk-modify all fonts in a file to one specific font? It would take a really long time to modify all objects and bits of text one by one. I see that tech support was helping people privately, which is great, but not very helpful for everybody else.

Naomi Hansen
Terry & Terry Architecture

Running AC27 build 4001 USA on Mac OS14.1.2
klaus
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Hello friends,

well, as I worked on a individual Library (special objects for a customer-use) I have the same issue 😢...
I could not really understand, why GS do not deliver the different, local distributions (GER, AUT, AUS, ...) with the "local matching" Xreadcfg.txt to match the same fonts...

i.e. on MAC Arial is named "Arial" and the same font is named "Arial Westlich" in WIN-AUT-Archicad distribution...
...so why there are not the WIN-MAC "font-name pairs" of the most used fonts (Arial, New Times Romans, Arial Narrow, Swiss721, Tahoma, Verdana, ...) already in the Xreadcfg.txt included. GS do lots of "local adjustments", so why not in this case??

For most of us (users) everything will work fine, if the "SubSet" (Westlich, Grichisch, Hebräisch,...) ist matched to the localisation.   so a german, austrian, swiss,.. localisation of Archicad (GER, AUT, CH,..) get "Arial Westlich" for Arial, a user of the greek-localisation (do not know if there is one 😏 ) gets "Arial Griechisch" in the localized Archicad Distributions...

I hope my English is not too weak - so you can understand what I mean...

looking forward to answers and perhaps discussion...

best regards from Viennna

Yours,

Klaus

Learn and get certified!