Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Current state of scheduling question

Rick Thompson
Expert
I have stayed on AC20, but I'm sure at some point will catch up. One important function for my work is quantity take-offs. I have no major issues with decades old listing functions... however, if I change anything at all that required writing over the existing file, it breaks. So, if I need to change something I simply replace the Property Data file. During beta testing it was figured out that a "space" was being generated somehow... but not fixed.

Last I remember (from the developers forum which I am no longer on) was that the new expressions would still not totally replace the Listing abilities.. such as extraction the number of studs.. plate material... base material... number of 4x8 sheets osb.. etc from a wall length. Seems I remember that it would take some years to accomplish that in an incremental fashion. However, I was recently told that AC22 will extract this. If so, that would make upgrading worth while.

So, my question is can the current scheduling functions with expressions replace the Listing abilities in full?

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Rick wrote:
So, my question is can the current scheduling functions with expressions replace the Listing abilities in full?

I would say that if you can create a calculation in your list with property objects, then you can do the same with properties and expressions.
With studs, it is still not as good a modelling every stud and counting them, but you can create an expression that divides the length of a stud wall and add one or 2 extra if needed.
Not that I have personally done this, but from what I have experimented with it should be possible.

Likewise you could work out the number of sheets for cladding or the number of bricks in a wall.

But you will never really know until you give it a try.
For now at least you can still use the list schemes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks.. sounds like linking data base items to property objects is still the simplest at this point.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display