Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWF viewer for Mac

fuzzytnth3
Booster
Does anyone know if there is a DWF viewer available for the Mac? I've seen an announcement from AutoDesk saying they are going to make one but it doesn't seem to be available yet. 😞

I'm trying to look at some drawings off of Renzo Piano's website <http://www.rpwf.org/> which are in DWF format. My CAD software ArchiCAD is supposed to be able to open DWF files but it is just showing zippo, no errors or warnings.
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
9 REPLIES 9
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Have you tried using the File-> Merge (DWF) function?
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
fuzzytnth3
Booster
JCovarrubias wrote:
Have you tried using the File-> Merge (DWF) function?
yep tried that, nothing happens.
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
can you upload the DWF here? I'll see what I can do 😐
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
Rick Thompson
Expert
not really the best solution, but Volo View runs fine under Virtual PC. You can drag a pmk or dwf etc. onto the PC desktop and it opens fine, so if you have VPC you that is one solution. If you don't have it, it is not cheap, but it might have other uses.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
fuzzytnth3
Booster
I haven't got VPC but I think I have Soft Windows at home, which I think still runs in OS 9 so I will give that a try this weekend.

I can't upload an example dwf as the forum doesn't accept that file type. As there are a number of dwf files we want to look at, it would be better if I can get it work at this end. But thanks for the offer.
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Djordje
Ace
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
I haven't got VPC but I think I have Soft Windows at home, which I think still runs in OS 9 so I will give that a try this weekend.

I can't upload an example dwf as the forum doesn't accept that file type. As there are a number of dwf files we want to look at, it would be better if I can get it work at this end. But thanks for the offer.
The upload accepts ZIP; make a habit of ZIPping anythign that is not a JPG for uploading.

BTW - VoloView Express is not free or available for dwonload any more. The new flavour of DWF can be seen by the Autodesk Express Viewer, very like PDF viewer. Did not try it under Virtual PC, but I suspect it will not work on anything less than XP, maybe W2K.

If your Merge od DWF does not work, you have to use AEV ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
"fuzzytnth3" wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a DWF viewer available for the Mac?

first post so i hope i don't mess up

REVIEWER

Publish some drawings from Plotmaker. Any drawings, blank drawings.

Publish as DWF and include reviewer environment.

Open the published folder / sub folder

Rename the DWF's you want to view as per files in the published folder.

Replace files in published folder.

Open 'index.html' (in published folder) in browser.

Here's where it gets fiddly. I could only get Reviewer to open in IE5 in classic. Hope you've got that. All other browsers would just hang at this point.

Navigate to required drawings.

Enjoy.

(worked for me w/ drawing from the RP site)

There's probably a slicker way to do this but I'm not that clever.
fuzzytnth3
Booster
bill wrote:
REVIEWER

Publish some drawings from Plotmaker. Any drawings, blank drawings.
Publish as DWF and include reviewer environment.
Open the published folder / sub folder
Rename the DWF's you want to view as per files in the published folder.
Replace files in published folder.
Open 'index.html' (in published folder) in browser.
Here's where it gets fiddly. I could only get Reviewer to open in IE5 in classic. Hope you've got that. All other browsers would just hang at this point.
Navigate to required drawings.
Enjoy.
(worked for me w/ drawing from the RP site)
I did try that but in OSX the Reviewer java bit wouldn't start saying that a file was not found. I will give it another try in OS9 and see if I have better luck that way. Thanks

Djordje
The Autodesk Viewer didn't like my SoftWindows(I don't have VPC) it said I required Windows 98 which is weird cos that's what is installed on SoftWindows. Autodesk did announce that they were developing an OXS version but as yet nothing has happened.

Hopefully I can view the DWFs with OS9 on Monday

Thanks again
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Jacek
Contributor
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a DWF viewer available for the Mac? I've seen an announcement from AutoDesk saying they are going to make one but it doesn't seem to be available yet. 😞
My CAD software ArchiCAD is supposed to be able to open DWF files but it is just showing zippo, no errors or warnings.
Have You had any luck with this?

I have been sent several DWF files as well and can't open them with anything; Plotmaker, ArchiCAd ,GraphicConverter, etc...
Same platform and Sim'r spec's.
Any suggestions out there?
Thanks
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24