BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG Conversion Nightmare

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Now, I've got enough of that stupid Plotmaker. I've tried to export (publish) drawing to dwg. PM has produced a 23MB monster. When I checked that in ACAD that silly pillock has converted all polylines to segments (I was exporting landscape contours - polylines in AC).
Ok then I thought - it's a big file, but I've tried to export that from AC directly (just for fun) and to my surprise AC created correctly converted polylines and the file size was 6MB. I used the very same translator.
What the hell is going on?

Hints:
it wasn't problem of my titleblock in PM
I've tried all possible combinations in the translator
publishing/exporting was done without fills and penweights on in both PM and AC
I've tried to change all polyline linetypes to solid - no effect to the final outcome
::rk
4 REPLIES 4
Haneef Tayob
Booster
I know what a nightmare this can be.

Are you placing .Pmk's in plotmaker? If you are, you might want to try placing the .pln file directly into plotmaker.

Although you seemed to have ruled out the fills issue, I've experienced similiar problems with large .dwg file sizes which I solved by playing around with the fills.

The problem I had was that the Plotmaker conversion seemed to be breaking up some fills into thousand of small items whilst the archicad conversion was treating fills as hatches. The culprit was some custom fills - what seemed as a simple custom fill (horizontal lines 115mm long, spaced 85mm apart). This simple item caused one simple detail to be larger in file size than entire building plans when I converted them to .DWG. I solved it by redefining the fill more sensibly

Let me know if any of this works for you.

regards
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
TomWaltz
Participant
another thing worth checking is whether PM was set for "real line weights" or "hair lines" when you exported. That can make a huge difference, since "real line weights" translate at actual line weights in AutoCAD.

That said, I translate from Archicad most of the time, because I found it more consistant and reliable than Plotmaker translations.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
TomWaltz wrote:
That said, I translate from Archicad most of the time, because I found it more consistant and reliable than Plotmaker translations.
For Model Space, sure.

Then you XRef into the PlotMaker export? Or what?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thanks for your replies guys,
Although you seemed to have ruled out the fills issue, I've experienced similar problems with large .dwg file sizes which I solved by playing around with the fills.
Haneef, I have turned all fills off and I have not used any of customised fills at all. So I am assuming this is not a problem.
another thing worth checking is whether PM was set for "real line weights" or "hair lines" when you exported. That can make a huge difference, since "real line weights" translate at actual line weights in AutoCAD.
Tom, the actual difference having true weights on and off was 800Kb +/- respectively.
Then you XRef into the PlotMaker export? Or what?
...and exactly, then you're stuffed - without titleblocks and issue letters...
::rk
Learn and get certified!