Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG Exports

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I'm having trouble with exporting to DWG, specifically with lines generated to represent walls.

Our colleagues in the Middle East insists on working in DWG, and drawings set up in such a way that they can switch layers off individually (i.e.: external wall finishes can be switched off independently of the blockwork). It's a tricky one since we've modelled walls as composites and separating out the skins into separate layers is a bit of challenge.

I've set up the translator to generate DWG layers by pen numbers, and modified the composites to use line pens and fill pens specific to the layers the skins need to be on. That seems to work fine (albeit a bit time consuming to rework the model to make sure there aren't "stray" layers). However, there seems to be an issue where walls intersect columns in that the lines representing the wall in DWG are trimmed, but the ends of the trimmed walls are left open (with no line representing the end of the wall meeting the column). I've set the "wall end lines" switched on so I would've thought the lines should automatically be shown in DWG.

Am I missing something?

Also out of interest, does anybody have a better way of exporting to DWG and separating composite skins on different layers?
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Erika wrote:
It's a work around, but quick to do and undo when you work.
In archicad set the DISPLAY of the walls containing the columns to 'bring to front' then they will cover the columns and the DWGs will export correctly.

Select the walls > right click>Display order>, bring to front

HTH
Erika, are you sure about this?
I think this is not the way it works when the Column cuts itself out of the Wall as shown be the images attached to previous posts. The Column will be cut out no matter where the Wall and Column are in display order relative to each other. At least this is how it works for me in AC17.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Just a though.
Change the Layer Intersection number so that the columns and walls do not intersect?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
t

HTH
Erika, are you sure about this?
I think this is not the way it works when the Column cuts itself out of the Wall as shown be the images attached to previous posts. The Column will be cut out no matter where the Wall and Column are in display order relative to each other. At least this is how it works for me in AC17.
Yes, I tested it out. As you pointed out earlier, the DWG is created from what is seen on the screen.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erika. That seems like a workable work around, though it would produce DWGs with walls continuing through columns, which in my experience with these guys in the Middle East is not something they're looking for.

I suppose another work around is to literally stop walls in either side of columns. Again it's rather laborious but better than drawing little 2d lines everywhere.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlo,

Should this be an item on the wish list then?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Probably or possibly.
If it is never wished for there is little chance it is ever going to be changed.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27