Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG Translation - Polyline Width (not line weight!)

matjashka
Enthusiast
Hello, we need to export ArchiCAD polylines (to be more specific, zone boundary outlines) so that they have specific Width in AutoCAD after translation. This should not be confused with line weight and pen colors - in AutoCAD a polyline can apparently have a width which makes the line look more like a fill.

Can that even be accomplished in ArchiCAD or does it have to be modified in AutoCAD in post-process?
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
4 REPLIES 4
Podolsky
Ace
You need to set to save stamp and fill in DWG translator.
Also, if you need contour around zone fills - you can switch it on in ArchiCAD.
matjashka
Enthusiast
Thank you, but this is an answer to a different problem.

For anyone having the same issue, we have not found any working solution. We ended up using AutoCAD LT to assign width to polylines. Also, I noticed that ArchiCAD actually exports two overlapping polylines per zone, something that I could not filter out in my workflow (we're talking ArchiCAD 24 on MacOS, to be specific). So, manual cleanup in LT was the only way.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Podolsky
Ace
I just tried to export the zone. I didn't see two overlapping polylines per zone. So maybe this is something, that possible to fix. I set outline for the zone, in DWG translator set to export only zone stamp. As a result - the only one polyline showing zone boundary in AutoCAD.

As about polyline width - this is something very specific (extra feature) in AutoCAD. Maybe it is possible to write AutoLISP code (or try to find it on AutoCAD forums), that will search specific polylines and set the width.
The only problem then - AutoCAD LT does not support LISP. You need full version for that.

Currently I’ve found the opposite process - script is changing width to 0. Maybe by changing numbers in this script can opposite increase the width:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/change-widths-of-polylines-on-layer-...
matjashka
Enthusiast
Podolsky wrote:
I just tried to export the zone. I didn't see two overlapping polylines per zone. So maybe this is something, that possible to fix. I set outline for the zone, in DWG translator set to export only zone stamp. As a result - the only one polyline showing zone boundary in AutoCAD.
Thanks, I'll take a look at this. I'm using Graphic Overrides to force predefined colors on Zone boundaries based on certain criteria. Maybe that's causing an issue? It's just one extra step in the cleanup in LT, because the duplicate polylines can be deleted after a quick search.
And yes, I wish LT would support LISP, but then... even fewer people would choose the full version.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA