Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG Translation??

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to use default translator in AC 8.1 for 4.7 MB Site Plan pln file and save as dwg file. There are three x-refs attached to this file for three small buildings (2 MB; 1 MB & 1 MB) which were done on AutoCAD. Problem is program starts translation and indicates 54 minutes left, and then it gets locked up. I have used translator several times before on files with multiple x-refs and pln hot-links, but have not run into this problem. It has always worked well in the past with very timely results.

I have also tried to reboot computer and shut down background programs, but same result. I have even tried to use the publisher to get a dwg file, but same thing.

Thanks for any ideas. Eric
2 REPLIES 2
Djordje
Ace
ELL wrote:
I am trying to use default translator in AC 8.1 for 4.7 MB Site Plan pln file and save as dwg file. There are three x-refs attached to this file for three small buildings (2 MB; 1 MB & 1 MB) which were done on AutoCAD. Problem is program starts translation and indicates 54 minutes left, and then it gets locked up. I have used translator several times before on files with multiple x-refs and pln hot-links, but have not run into this problem. It has always worked well in the past with very timely results.
Off the top of my head - what is the fill status in your file? Too much vectorial ones? True weight or hairlines? Are the Xrefs cleared and purged?

This sounds to me like running out of resources; open the Task manager before you start saving as DWG and monitor the processor and memory usage. If you see any of them peaking out, that's it.

Maybe saving the Xref plans as library parts, binary at that, will help? You lose the live connection though.

Did you try composing everything in PlotMaker and exporting from there?

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Djordje,

I have already purged all AutoCAD files and reviewed fills. However same problem. It seems the file is simply too big to process with my system. Since I needed to get the file sent to my consultants, I ended up eliminating the x-refs from the file and outlining info in AC. Not ideal solution, but neither was locking up system.

ELL