BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DWG file import---> problems (no lines at all)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received a drawing from the consultant engineer but I miss to open it on both Archicad and PlotMaker (no lines visible).
I tried the different options (ModelSpace, Paperspace with empty viewports, etc), with no visible results.
However I am able to view it with eDrawings (Solid Works dwg viewer), but there are no export options available.
The .dwg file is 1,4 Mb so I can not enclose it. What am I doing wrong?

Jaime Neto
Caldas da Rainha, Portugal

Archicad 9.0.0 v1 Int | PlotMaker 9.0.0 v1 Int | Apple PowerBook G4 1Gb Ram |
16 REPLIES 16
Eduardo Rolon
The dreaded 27+3 character limitation pops in again.

archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=9507&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=character+limit...
ejrolon wrote:

I don't think the problem is for us and since I grew up using DOS 8.3 limit I don't have a problem with keeping it short but a lot of CAD "users" since Win95 got used to the idea of loooooong filenames.
Imagine my surprise when I couldn't import a dwg file from a consultant because he had written an "essay" for the file name. No error in AC just couldn't select the file for import, I was lucky to "guess" at the problem since AutoCAD could open the file without problems as did SketchUp, Illustrator and Vectorworks...

As for Windows to be unaffected it is not an excuse, what would happen if you would have to share a project between platforms. As I sometimes have to do.
Totally forgot about this
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jaime wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Jaime wrote:
There are no visible layers on the Archicad file (with the exception the Archicad layer).
Mysterious.
- have you succeeded in importing any DWGs any time before?

- Check with the sender that the file isn't saved in a later Autocad DWG version than 2004. I don't think 2006 works in AC9.
(...) If nothing works, you need professional support. Contact your reseller.
Ok! Thank you all for your kind replies.
After contacting the Engineer who has sent me the file (Autocad 14)...
... after much trial with diferent types of software ('e-drawings'; 'Canvas') ...I finally solved the puzzling question about why Archicad 9.0 could not open the .dwg file:
— it has to do with the long name and probably the hyphen character (the original file name was 'ESTRUTURA2001-Mamede.dwg').
I changed the file name to 'ESTRUTURAS' and now it opens easily and with no problems whatsoever.
I hope this information can be useful to the Archicad comunity.

Jaime Neto | Archicad 9.0.0, 2045 Int Full | PlotMaker 9.0.0 2045 INT Full | PowerBook G4, 1GB Ram
I do not quite understand this because 'ESTRUTURA2001-Mamede.dwg' is only 24 characters long.
Maybe a directory name in your path to the DWG file was more than 31 characters.
Still, I am glab you could open the file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thomas Holm
Booster
Sorry. I should have catched that one. Microstation had the same problem years ago. But i'd imagine Archicad should refuse to open it or give an error instead of opeing an empty file. I think you should report it to your reseller as a bug for this reason only. GS needs to be alerted.

Also, aside from the length limit to each file and fodler name in the path, I seem to recall that Microstation had a limit to the full path name too (Example: Drive+Folder+Folder+Folder+Project.pln), that was less than the O/S limit. I don't know if this is the case in Archicad.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I do not quite understand this because 'ESTRUTURA2001-Mamede.dwg' is only 24 characters long.
Maybe a directory name in your path to the DWG file was more than 31 characters.
Still, I am glab you could open the file.
I downloaded the file again from my mailbox, with the original name 'ESTRUTURA2001-Mamede.dwg'. I tried again to open it and there is again the same: no lines whatsoever!
The same file with the changed name 'ESTRUTURAS.dwg' opens easily!
They are both on the same folder, same directory.

Laslo Nagy: I can send you the file to your private mail if you want to check it!

Jaime Neto
Archicad 9.0.0, 2045 Int Full | PlotMaker 9.0.0 2045 INT Full | Apple PowerBook G4, 1GB Ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Sorry. I should have catched that one.
You have been most kind and instructive on the right procedure for opening a .dwg file. My knowledge of this matter has widened considerably. I thank you for that. : )

Good luck for Sweden on the World cup!

Jaime Neto
Archicad 9.0.0, 2045 Int Full | PlotMaker 9.0.0 2045 INT Full | Apple PowerBook G4, 1GB Ram
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jaime wrote:
Laslo Nagy: I can send you the file to your private mail if you want to check it!

Jaime Neto
I believe you completely. It just did not sound logical to me.
But this would not be the first time a program behaves in an interesting way.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
HI Havin a simlar problem to Jaime, however importing a dwg with several paperspace layouts in AC10.
I can't get around the default which imports the it in model space.
Any thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

regards

Phil
Learn and get certified!