Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

DXF-DWG Translation Setup Attribute mapping

Matthew Johnson
Advocate
We are trying to import tenant's fitout plans into a retail development. We are trying to do it by X-ref'ing their supplied DWG files but trying to avoid the usual mess of fonts, pens and layers that get generated on import.

Can we use wildcards ("*" or "?") in the attributes settings to convert;

-all layers in the DWG that start with "FOUT_EQUI" to an ArchiCAD Layer "Equipment.T001"
-all layers in the DWG that start with "FOUT_FINISH" to an ArchiCAD Layer "Finishes.T001"
-all pens in the DWG to be replaced with ArchiCAD Pen "190"
-all fonts in the DWG to be replaced with "Trebuchet MS Western"

We could then create a copy of the translator for each tenant with a different set of layer name extensions so that no mater how many extra layers or pens the tenant's designers try to use we can push their DWG files thru a translator to clean them up and have them sit neatly under our floor plans in a consistent washed out colour, a consistent pen thickness, and with consistent fonts.
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
4 REPLIES 4
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
What would also be useful was if there was a way to list all of the incoming attributes in a DWG file so that they could be mapped on import rather than having to import the file, write down all of the linetype names, layer names etc. and then manually re-type them into the translator settings.
I'd rather be sailing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew

If you're looking to keep it super simple and not pollute your drawings with the layers, fonts etc, use the drawing tool linked to the dwg.
You can place them in the current story and use them as a reference or even further explode them and you have easy 2D elements on the layer of your choice.
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
Kristian,

The problem with the method you describe is that you have very little control on how the inserted drawing displays. We want to be able to publish the information so that it appears as part of our drawing and looks unified rather than a miss-mash of drawings to different standards. If it was just a case of inserting and trace what you need the inserted "drawing" method would be fine. I'm expecting something a little less "old school cut and paste" and a bit more incorporating other's data.

The DXF-DWG Translation Setup has not changed in the way it works for quite a while now and while ArchiCAD is pushing the exchange of information bandwagon this process should be simpler.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I'd rather be sailing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely agree there mate!
I have kicked around custom pen sets for them but other than that it is a pretty low brow solution.

Yeah the translators are a little dated but I always find at the end of the day it's the dwg's we get that are the weak link.
It's probably just me but I don't trust client dwg's for anything other than references these days!

Good luck with it all though!