BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Deploying the new and future ArchiCAD Upgrades over the netw

Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
Is there a way to deploy the ArchiCAD upgrades to client over the network?
With 15 computers it takes time to do the changes.
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
6 REPLIES 6
TomWaltz
Participant
There are network administration products out there that do this kind of thing. It just depends on your OS and what you are willing to spend on it.
Tom Waltz
Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
Sorry I forgot to detail my specifications.
I am using Windows Server and Windows XP Professional.

What are these softwares you said that do this kind of thing.

Chadi M. Saroufim, Assoc. AIA
Assistant Managing Director - Partner
M. Arch & M. Urban Design
Idepconsult - Lebanon
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not worth it for only 15 computers. The time it takes to configure this (at least in Windows) doesn't justify it.

I install to twelve computers and I can do it in about 30 minutes or so, just by walking around to each computer and running the installer from a network share.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I make sure everything is working on my computer for a day or two before copying my ArchiCAD application folder to the server. Then I simply drag copies from here to each user's application folder. One at time like Eric. Fast network, all Macs, it's done before I walk away.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Even better, Geoff. I'm pretty sure on Windows you have to have run the native installer at least once on each client computer for the version you're installing because of the registry settings it creates (stupid registry!). After that the copying of the app folder should work, too. At least for updates.
You have to install the application - yes - but as for the update - no installing is needed - copying the Archicad folder will in most cases work.
(Anyway - the registry settings can be saved and restored on the other computers - just export all of the "Graphisoft" subbranches in HKCU and HKLM branches and than run the *reg's on the other computers)
Additionally the Users data can be copied from "Documents&Settings" such as WE translators etc

Thanks to GS that AC does almost everything inside its own folder (unlike most of Win applications)

In the ancient times it was even better - AC run without installing it (I just copied the Archicad folder and installed the key software)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Learn and get certified!