Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Determining Displaced Volume

Chris Grantham
Advocate
Does anyone know if there is any way to determine the volume of mesh? I am trying to figure out how much export fill I am going to have for a permit. Currently I have the site created as a mesh and the building sitting in it at the appropriate height. I just need to figure out the volume of the intersection between the two. Please help me to not do math! 😉

-Chris
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
6 REPLIES 6
Thomas Holm
Booster
Select the mesh and Windows>Palettes>Element Information
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Thanks Thomas, I never noticed that palette before!
That gives me the entire volume of the mesh... how can I figure out the amount that will be displaced by the building?
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Thomas Holm
Booster
Well, this calcuation isn't something I do on a daily basis, but you could try selecting the lowest floor slab (or foundation) of the building in a section and SEO it (Design>Solid Element Operations, subtraction with upwards extrusion) from the mesh and then check the Info palette again. I think it will work.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Thanks Thomas, but unfortunately it still reads as the entire mesh.

Any other ideas?
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Karl Ottenstein
Chris wrote:
Thanks Thomas, but unfortunately it still reads as the entire mesh.

Any other ideas?
Works perfectly for me, Chris. Check your 3D to verify that you did the subtraction - the difference between the original mesh volume and the final volume is your displacement. Also - are you sure you clicked on the volume button in the Element Info palette?

Another way that just worked fine for me now and does not require the subtraction is to duplicate the mesh, duplicate the lowest slab (or create one) - both on a normally invisible layer of course - make the slab tall enough to be stick out of your mesh completely, and then use the Intersect operation of the SEOp palette. The resulting piece of mesh will have the volume of your displacement.

Often, I use two meshes anyway - the survey mesh, and then an editable site mesh that I adjust to show fill. Subtracting one from the other leaves the fill - for which ArchiCAD instantly gives the volume. I use different cut fills for each so that fill vs original soil shows up in section. Sometimes I use a slightly different grass material on one vs the other, too, to see where fill is going in OpenGL and renders (obviously working renders, not presentation).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Okay that worked... Thanks for your help.

-Chris
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!