BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Door/Window Detecting bad orientation

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I'd like to detect "bad oriented" door/windows through properties and expressions.

1) Properties
Because on my project all inside spaces are delimited by Zones, my idea was to use the parameters "From Zone", "To Zone". Good oriented door/windows go from the outside to the inside and from the "corridor" to the room.
So in my case, would be bad oriented and FALSE all door/windows having parameter "To Zone" empty or with name "corridor".
I struggle to create an "IF" expression containing not one but either first or second of these conditions.

2) Graphic overrides
The properties I create for this purpose are not available in the Graphic overrides in any way. I remarked some of the properties by default are not available through graphic overrides and i could'nt figure why?
So my question is from this TRUE/FALSE orientation, how i can get it to work with graphic overrides?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Certain Properties are not available as Graphic Override Criteria. This was discussed in another thread not so long ago:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70274&p=313988#p313954

Probably the Properties you are trying to use as Graphic Override Criteria are not available for the same reason.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Certain Properties are not available as Graphic Override Criteria. This was discussed in another thread not so long ago:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70274&p=313988#p313954

Probably the Properties you are trying to use as Graphic Override Criteria are not available for the same reason.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for your answer. That explains everything for the limitation of Graphic Override, wasn't finding any documentation about it.

I manage to create the property "ORIENTATION" i was looking for :
IF ( OR ( ToZone = "Corridor"; ISUNDEFINED ( ToZone ) ); FALSE; TRUE )

Still using only schedules, helps to find in my case bad-oriented windows/doors.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Spato wrote:
Thank you very much for your answer. That explains everything for the limitation of Graphic Override, wasn't finding any documentation about it.

I manage to create the property "ORIENTATION" i was looking for :
IF ( OR ( ToZone = "Corridor"; ISUNDEFINED ( ToZone ) ); FALSE; TRUE )

Still using only schedules, helps to find in my case bad-oriented windows/doors.
EDIT : Actually, I was thinking Archicad determine the orientation From/to because of the placement of the "Sun" at the beginning. But that's not the case, Archicad determines it only by the side of opening, if it opens inside or outside.

Since then, what I was looking for looks impossible and the property i created has no value in this case.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have a workflow that can work and that can help you easily identify, select, and fix badly oriented Doors and Windows.
Let us say that you created this Property the value of which is TRUE if the Door is badly oriented, as defined by your Property expression.
I created it like this, so the Expression is as follows:

IF ( OR ( {Property:General Parameters/To Zone} = "Corridor", ISUNDEFINED ( {Property:General Parameters/To Zone} ) ), TRUE, FALSE )

Of course, the Property is made available to elements with "Door" classification, and Doors are properly classified as "Door".
I then created a Schedule that has only 2 Schedule fields:
- this "Bad Door Orientation" field
- the Quantity field

The "Bad Door Orientation" field is first, and it is set to list items in descending order (so those that have this value as TRUE will be listed first.
I also made sure that the generated Schedule has the "Merge Uniform Items" checkbox checked, so there will be only 2 columns - one that lists the number of badly oriented Doors, and one that lists correctly oriented Doors.
This is a simple Floor Plan, in which 4 Doors are correctly oriented, and 4 Doors are not, and the resulting Schedule:

So now I can simply select the Column that includes the badly oriented Doors, click the "Select in 3D" button, and Archicad will take me to the 3D Viewpoint with all badly oriented Doors selected. Now I can simply click the "Flip" button to flip their orientation to the opposite direction. As a check, I can regenerate the Schedule and it will show that there are no longer Doors with bad orientation:

Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!