BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Door/Window Markers/labels in Plans, and Schedules

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. Can door/window marks be set to layers, so they're not visible on an Electrical Plan layer combination? Is there any way to make such marks invisible other than selecting all individually and turning them off?

2. Does every door or window list individually in the list or schedule? Can like objects (all 2'-0" x 5'-0" windows) be listed together on one line?

Thank you...
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
If you use the Label Tool instead of the built-in markers, yes you can place them on different layers and show them in elevations. If you insist on using the annoying built-in ones, you can use the Model View Options to globally turn them on and off.

Yes, the schedules have the ability to group like elements together.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Um.....Ok, Label tool....

Have poked at it for a while, and got my doors all squared away, but the windows are resisting my efforts to label them. I've checked all the same boxes (X Label Window in "Listing and Labelling" tab), set up the label the same way... and it doesn't seem to appear?

"Help" says I can add the info after the window has been placed, but currently I can only label new windows.
TomWaltz
Participant
Check your settings in the Label Tool. Each element type has its own settings group within it, and you might have Windows set to a different layer than Doors. You cannot do this in the Info Box. You have to open the Label Settings Menu, pick the element type in the upper left, then set it up. The #1 Label problem is placing a label on a layer that is turned off.

You can place labels and their info whenever you want, either when you place them or later on when you feel like it.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Label tool settings for window tool is set to appropriate visible layer.

I can create new labelled windows, but cannot label existing ones. And I cannot Alt-Click up the label from the new window and Ctrl-Alt-Click it into the existing windows.

Any other common mistakes I'm maybe committing?

EDIT: After hashing over all options again and again and again, for some reason now it's working (I don't even know that I changed anything... maybe turned back on the label after ctrl-alt-clicking on old window?)

Thanks. I hope I can remember how to make it work on purpose.

NOW... how does one turn the label so it's upright all the time? Couldn't make it work with the doors (text stubbornly refused to be upright, and was upside down at both 90 and 270 degrees, tho previewed properly at 270).
TomWaltz
Participant
Jozzz wrote:
I can create new labelled windows, but cannot label existing ones. And I cannot Alt-Click up the label from the new window and Ctrl-Alt-Click it into the existing windows.

Any other common mistakes I'm maybe committing?
Yep. You cannot option-click the Label Tool. It's not like other tools that way. The option-click only sets the label you match to be the settings for "independent labels"

You have to actually set it up. If you're lucky, all you're changing is the layer.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz
Participant
Jozzz wrote:
NOW... how does one turn the label so it's upright all the time? Couldn't make it work with the doors (text stubbornly refused to be upright, and was upside down at both 90 and 270 degrees).
Sorry, missed that part.... if it doesn't do it on its own, you probably won't be able to force it. (I'm a little spoiled since I wrote custom labels for my company a couple years ago... mine behave!!)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry... I keep editing my posts, and you're faster than I am.

Thanks much for your help.

I'd like to produce custom stuffs, but am right now just trying to keep up with the work in the office (am only production staff in very small office). Thank goodness I'm "off" today (working at home) and have the time to get into this in detail without boss/clients/coworker hounding me every 10 min about something else.
TomWaltz
Participant
Jozzz wrote:
I'd like to produce custom stuffs,
It's tricky, but I think it's way worth the effort (of course, all I do is CAD Management and a little bit of production). Depending on how deep you want to get, a lot of time it's a good idea to just hire someone to code the objects you want.
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!