BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Door schedule zero feet & inches

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dimensions, such as door frame thicknesses, placed on my door schedule show up with 0'-xx". I would like to not have the 0' (zero feet) show up and only have the inches displayed. I have the project preferences/display zero feet and inches, under dimensions, set to not display the zero feet, which works fine for the dimension tool but not for the door schedule. Is there a way I can have the dimensions on the schedule not display the zero feet
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
This is a frequent question that affects mostly those of us who are not using the metric system. Graphisoft has been asked to improve this for we Imperial Unit users for more than 10 years...

Numeric fields in schedules are displayed extremely inconsistently.

Some field are formatted according to Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units & Rules. This has been the most complained about feature - as many users want to see fractional inches, or feet and fractional inches - but only decimal feet or decimal inches are allowed there.

Other fields respond to the Dimension settings in Options > Project Preferences > Dimensions.

Still other fields - such as Frame Thickenss and Frame Width (scheduled as "Additional Parameters" for door types) - do not respond to any of those settings - and apparently have code within the objects themselves that determine the display format. To me, that's a bug. But, GS hasn't done anything about it. Ever.

IMHO, numeric fields need to consistently respond to formats. Somehow.

For Frame Thickness - one inconsistency that I just found while testing this for you is that the "Frame Thickness Inside" parameter DOES respond to the Calculation Units format. So, you can get it to display in decimal inches... and avoid the leading zero foot (0') text. But, of course, you then do not have fractions. So, a 3 ½" thickness will display as 3.5" (or however many decimal places you specify).

If you need fractional inches without a leading zero, the only workaround is to export the schedule and format it in Excel (etc). I gave a workaround 12 years ago or so that used an Excel formula to reformat decimal inches to fractional inches. Not sure if I know where that is after so many years though...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! We'll just have to live with that 0' for now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The fact that Graphisoft has been aware of the inconsistent display of Imperial units in ArchiCAD schedules of over a decade and done nothing to rectify the situation is purely disgraceful in my humble opinion. It has rendered automatic schedules virtually useless to our documentation processes since the Interactive Schedule first appeared. We simply cannot abide having some door dimensions reading in decimal inches, others in fractional inches, and others in feet and fractional inches.
What kind of yoyo would publish a schedule like that?
So we copy the schedule and paste it into another viewpoint to edit it manually. Some Interactive Schedule (read with sarcasm).
Sorry to be so blunt, but I can't overemphasize how frustrating it has been to try using the IS functions with each new version of AC, and being disappointed every single time.
Just throwing in my 2c to keep this topic alive.
henrybs14
Contributor
Honestly, I don't see a problem. Only three countries in the world use imperial measurement.
And the only reason I'm using imperial system in archicad is to redraw plans from 40 years ago. Otherwise, I would never choose to use it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
True that this is solely an issue where imperial units are the standard. But having apparently committed to supporting Imperial units at all, and to serving the U.S. market at all, doesn’t GS assume some kind of responsibility to carry that commitment through into key features of its flagship product?
I don’t choose to use Imperial units. My market, silly as it may be, has made that choice for me. As parochial as it may make me, the problem seems more than obvious.
Learn and get certified!