Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Door swing width/depth at ifc-export = wallhole size???

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Why? It results in loads of collisions in Solibri.
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I looked into this a while back it seemed that IFC did not have a proper way to distinguish nominal from RO size. I didn't look too hard since it wasn't a compelling issue at the time. I just used the GS IFC parts that had zero jambs. (I know that would not work in most cases.)

Why do you need to clash the doors and walls? Can't you just exclude the from the rules like in Navis?
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
When I looked into this a while back it seemed that IFC did not have a proper way to distinguish nominal from RO size. I didn't look too hard since it wasn't a compelling issue at the time. I just used the GS IFC parts that had zero jambs. (I know that would not work in most cases.)

Why do you need to clash the doors and walls? Can't you just exclude the from the rules like in Navis?
Hi Matthew. Thanks for your input. I got an answer from GS telling me this is how it works. It's normal. I haven't thought about it earlier but the issue surfaced in a project where the builder is coordinating models in Solibri and asked us about this. Solibri reported lots of collisions from our doors. I need to check with them what's colliding. Hopefully it's a non-issue.

Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only things the doors should be clashing with are the walls they are in. They should be able to exclude this relationship from the clashes. The details would depend on how they have Solibri set up.

The way I use Navis it's a nonissue since I set up the clashes I want explicitly and have never had reason to clash anything with the doors. (The framed opening is a different matter of course.) In fact it is generally considered poor practice around here to clash the architectural walls with anything since there are so many intentional penetrations that are not modeled.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
The only things the doors should be clashing with are the walls they are in. They should be able to exclude this relationship from the clashes. The details would depend on how they have Solibri set up.

The way I use Navis it's a nonissue since I set up the clashes I want explicitly and have never had reason to clash anything with the doors. (The framed opening is a different matter of course.) In fact it is generally considered poor practice around here to clash the architectural walls with anything since there are so many intentional penetrations that are not modeled.
Agree!
AC 25 SWE Full

owen
Newcomer
Just came across this old post via Google looking for another IFC Door-swing related problem, and I assume the reason behind this question has been answered already but for other interested ..

Solibri can be used for checking many types of 'clearance' collisions such as that there are no objects within the swing path of the door - which is why accurately communicating the size of the leaf and swing via IFC is important. You can check for example there are no items of equipment or ceiling fixtures (e.g Exit signs) that would impede the door swing

quite a useful capability and one that turns up a surprising number of issues

cheers,

owen
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5