Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Doors, Bounding Boxes, GDL, IFC and Revit

Matthew Johnson
Advocate

Archicad project in v24, transferring via IFC to consultants in Revit using Improved IFC Import Add-in.

Custom built GDL door objects to suit the standard manufacturers door suites in AUS.

In Archicad:

The outside of the door frame aligns with the outside face of the wall. The wall only exists to host the door and does not extend past the door frame. (See attached PNG)

Exports to IFC without reported errors. Bounding Boxes on, ifcOpeningElement on.

In Solibri:

The door aligns as it does in Archicad. (See attached PNG)2022-02-22 Sliding Door Solibri.png

The associated ifcOpeningElement can be viewed in Solibri and while it reports as being the same depth as the wall it displays as extending out in front of the wall. (See attached PNG)2022-02-22 Sliding Door Solibri Opening.png

In Revit (2019 for compatibility with other project stakeholders):

The door is positioned with a large reveal setback. (See attached PNG)

2022-02-22 Sliding Door Revit.png

This causes doors with meeting to jambs to clash or miss each other rather than neat junctions. It also misaligns the doors with their intended slab setdowns which we are trying to coordinate with the structural engineer.

When viewing the Revit Family created with the IFC import, it appears that the bounding box of the opening has been created much deeper than the wall (as seen in Solibri) but that Revit as then centered this cutting void within the wall. The door geometry is then created in the correct location relative to the cutting void, but not correct relative to the wall geometry.

2022-02-22 Sliding Door Revit Family.png

Thoughts:

Wallhole in GDL can only be defined as a 2D poly region in the plane of the wall and has no defined depth. Where does the depth of the ifcOpeningElement derive from?

Can the cutting void or ifcOpeningElement be defined in GDL so that its position is fixed and not open to interpretation by Revit on the import?

2022-02-22 Sliding Door Revit.png2022-02-22 Sliding Door Solibri Opening.png2022-02-22 Sliding Door Solibri.png
2022-02-22 Sliding Door Revit Family.png2022-02-22 Sliding Door Archicad.png

Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
1 REPLY 1
runxel
Legend

Walls that have no representation (because they are hosting windows/doors that are of the same size, thus canceling out any physcial appearance) are always a pain in IFC.

I have no real solution for you, tho. Sorry!

Have you tried making the host wall as thick as the frame?

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»