BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ECOTECT users wanted

Laci Neda
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I would be interested to find out if there are ArchiCAD users that also use ECOTECT ( a complete environmental design tool from SQUARE ONE http://www.squ1.com/site.html ).

Many thanks,
László Néda
Architect
Business Development Manager
GRAPHISOFT SE
11 REPLIES 11
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Dear Laci,
I tried to use Ecotect almost a year ago. A very handy application but its a pity that it cannot cooperate with Archicad. If I remember correctly you have to create the limits of a room so that the Application can calculate thermal insulation etc. You can export the AC model as 3ds with elements-material option and manually adjust the elements inside Ecotect. It would be much better if someone could use AC zones to do that and also if there was a way for Ecotect to understand Archicad's elements (wall , slab, etc).

I don't know if someone else knows a better way to connect the two applications.

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like a very important set of design and analysis tools. It would be nice if we could export our model info. into it efficiently.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
It will be made even more important when it becomes an EU directive.

Which will becoming very soon. In Europe all Architects will have to deliver an energy calculation will all new designs.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Laci,
Should we expect a new addon :Ecotect for ArchiCAD???

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are looking for energy calc software, try the following:

http://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck/

Unfortunately not a link with AC, but it is fairly easy to use.

Grant
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know László knows this, but other viewers may not. For a quick energy analysis of your ArchiCAD model you should check out the Green Building Studio (GBS) web service (http://www.greenbuildingstudio.com). This service provides whole building energy analysis from within ArchiCAD at no cost.

Currently, it can be used in the US, but we are planning on it being available in other countries shortly.

The GBS add-on also produces gbXML files that can be directly imported into Trane's TRACE 700 application for sharing your ArchiCAD building geometry with your engineers. Also, the DOE-2.2 file used for the whole building energy analysis on the GBS can be directly opened in eQuest (http://www.doe2.com), a free GUI for DOE-2.2.
Petros wrote:
Laci,

Petros
Yes. I will be comming soon.

Hi Steve.

Just to let you know that we have posted a brief reply to your comment on our guestbook... have included a copy for you below in case you are interested.

>> This is what we need for ArchiCAD.
REPLY:
you should be pleased to hear then, that with v5.50 we will be implimenting the ArchiCAD API and should also have IFCs and gbXML implimented -- so you should have a range of options for use of ECOTECT with ArchiCAD. The people at Graphisoft have been very generous with their time, help and support for us in developping these links with their software, as I think they really want ECOTECT to be an easily integrated option for their ArchiCAD users as well... which is nice

Thanks for posting your message on our site, and hopefully we will be able to provide what you need sooner rather than later...
Best.
Caroline

Caroline Raines
Square One research Pty Ltd

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
YAY!!!!!!!!
Steve wrote:
Petros wrote:
Laci,

Petros
Yes. I will be comming soon.

Hi Steve.

Just to let you know that we have posted a brief reply to your comment on our guestbook... have included a copy for you below in case you are interested.

>> This is what we need for ArchiCAD.
REPLY:
you should be pleased to hear then, that with v5.50 we will be implimenting the ArchiCAD API and should also have IFCs and gbXML implimented -- so you should have a range of options for use of ECOTECT with ArchiCAD. The people at Graphisoft have been very generous with their time, help and support for us in developping these links with their software, as I think they really want ECOTECT to be an easily integrated option for their ArchiCAD users as well... which is nice

Thanks for posting your message on our site, and hopefully we will be able to provide what you need sooner rather than later...
Best.
Caroline

Caroline Raines
Square One research Pty Ltd

Andy Thomson
Advisor
And nearly 19 months later, is anyone using this? Is the plugin to generate the gbXML a freebie, or something that comes with the purchase of a seat of Ecotect? We are very interested in this development, but have not had our emails to square one replied to yet....

Also, does anyone know whether eQuest is a Title24 compliant design tool yet? I know they were working on this...

Thanks in advance!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Learn and get certified!