BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export 6.5 Modules from AC7?

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm on 7v3/mac and collaborating with an office with 6.5/mac.

I can export to 6.5 .pln and .pla files.

Is there a way to export to 6.5 .mod (module) files too? (I imagine they would be much more compact).
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
7 REPLIES 7
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
Is there a way to export to 6.5 .mod (module) files too? (I imagine they would be much more compact).
Not really; but you can always publish to 7 modules, then open them and resave as 6.5 PLNs; now 6.5 was ages ago, I forgot whether in 6.5 you can also link a PLN as a module. Anyway, you might have to install a 6.5 to do the conversion yourself.

I know this is none of my business, but: Is the upgrade so expensive or is the industry in Sweden so down that you still can't upgrade? You are losing a lot of the functionality.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
I know this is none of my business, but: Is the upgrade so expensive or is the industry in Sweden so down that you still can't upgrade? You are losing a lot of the functionality.
LOL
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks Djordje,

I've found out that the workaround of first creating a .mod (from clipboard) and then saving that as a 6.5 .pla works fine. The file size is managable.

The building industry in Sweden is very, very down. Some lights can be sensed far off in the tunnel in front of us, but the IT boom and the following crash hit us hard up here.

But if I were making the decisions myself alone for my office I'd upgrade anyway. As for the office I'm collaborating with currently, it's their decision. I think they're simply conservative - 6.5 works for them, and they have no interest (as i may have) of being at the front line. From what i've heard, they've been a little scared off by the bug reports on early AC8 versions. And today, upgrading just to AC7 is hardly worth considering.

It'll take some time, but I think we'll all board the train eventually. When is AC 8.5 due?

Thomas
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
It'll take some time, but I think we'll all board the train eventually. When is AC 8.5 due?
AFAIK never ...
Djordje

HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK I'll re-phraze: When is AC 9 due? 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
If anyone knows, they're not telling. I think we'll have to wait for GS to make an announcement.

Maybe at ACUE?
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
As usual - who knows cannot tell.
Djordje

HP Omen
Learn and get certified!