Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export ArchiCad Zones to IFC

Francois_MCD
Expert
I am working in ArchiCad 15 & 16 and was asked to export an ArchiCad model to IFC for collaboration with Revit 2013 office.

The ArchiCad model is a massing concept model with a mesh site, Slabs, Roof elements some columns and Zones (no walls were used yet).

When I exported the model I set it up to show all element types & layers.
The export was done to 2x3 IFC format as well as 2x3 XML IFC.
When I opened the model in my version of Revit 2013 that I run for testing before deliveries no solids or wire frame showed for the ArchiCad Zones.

The only part of the zones that got transferred in the export was the Zone Stamps on 2D-Plan view in Revit.

I read up on this in the help files here: http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac15_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=... and in the IFC Manager section it confirmed that Zones only sends the Stamps over with the export.

But then this article on ArchiCad Wiki states:
"What information does an IFC model carry?
Building hierarchy (Project, Site, Building, Story, Element)
Element type (wall, slab, column, beam, roof, stair, zone etc.)"
. . . http://www.archicadwiki.com/IFC/FAQ#Where_can_I_read_more_about_IFC_and_the_suggested_data_exchange_...

Am I Missing Something here? or is the only way to also add walls to the boundaries of the meshes or even use slabs to simulate the solid in the place of the Zone?

Any ideas? Would love to hear . . .
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just a thought:
When I was experimenting with AC-Revit IFC transfer, there were times when the View Properties of the 3D Window in Revit were such that the imported IFC geometry was not displayed. So it got through but had to be made visible in the View.

You may also be aware that new exchange Add-Ins are available now for donwload for Revit Structure/MEP 2013:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/interoperability/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Francois_MCD
Expert
Thanks Laszlo
I will try the export plug-ins. Downloaded them just after this set of files had to be sent. I will also go back to Revit and see if the elements is hidden out of view as you suggest. I am very bad at using Revit so it is a challenge working and learning a tool that I have resistance to since trying it out with version 2008.
But hey we gotta do what we gotta do - right.
Thanks
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course
Karl Ottenstein
Just curious ... wonder if you need to make the zones visible in 3D in AC first (normally, the checkmark for displaying 3D zones is off) before exporting?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Francois_MCD
Expert
No problem with that one Karl as I ensured that I could see every bit in the 3D window before exporting and the Zones of this massing model (bulk of the current model) was all present.

From both your responses so far I gather that you imply that the volume / shape of the Zones should export fine and not just the Stamps in my case.
Is this observation correct?
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Honestly, I don't know and I cannot try it because I have no Revit on my machine.
But it may also be possible that the Zone 3D body does not go through with IFC. Unfortunately I don't know their IFC import that well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
No problem exporting the 3D zone here ... it might be a Revit issue, as the (free) Solibri viewer shows the zone just fine.

Attached is a simple zone and one wall as seen in the AC 16 3D window...
Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 2.01.20 PM.png
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
...and here it is in the Solibri viewer.

The zone is exported as an IFC Space. When I first opened the ifc file in Solibri Viewer, I did not see the zone. I clicked on the Space item in the tree and it appeared (highlighted in green), then clicked away, and it remained visible, translucent as in AC.

Alternatively, there is a Show/Hide Space button in the toolbar that shows/hides the IFC Spaces (i.e., AC zones).
Francois_MCD
Expert
This is great news thank you Karl for your time and valuable feedback.
I must get myself a copy of Solibri, that's clear.
Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Karl Ottenstein
For benefit of others finding this thread, here's the part of the Wiki IFC article listing free viewers:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/IFC/FAQ#How_can_I_check_the_result_of_my_IFC_model_export.3F