Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export from ArchiCAD PLN to AutoCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
What's the best way to Export from ArchiCAD PLN to AutoCAD with layers and every things ?

thank you
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
'Save As' and change the file type to DWG or DXF.
You will then want to have a look at the translator options as there are quite a few settings affecting how it saves.
You might want to look up translators in the Help Centre.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Greg D
Participant
How does one export the entire plan file as a dwg file? It appears that if you 'Save As...' in the plan window, all you get is that layer set in that view.
Greg Danskin - Architect
http://www.danskinarchitecture.com

AC 19/20/21
iMac Retina 5K, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
OS 10.13.4 High Sierra
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the DXF-DWG Translation Setup Dialog, in the Settings panel, in the Attributes\Layers\Methods page, is the "Save Elements On" field set to "All Layers"?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can also set up a publisher set for DWG with views and/or layouts to streamline the process.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Collins
Advocate
I'm confused about Model Space and Paper Space in AutoCAD and all those years of contemptuously ignoring AutoCAD haven't helped me here. I need to convert the layout drawings from a 3d ArchiCAD model to simple editable 2d DWGs. I want to avoid including any part of the 3d model.

First of all, is Paper Space more or less like our Used-to-be-Plotmaker layout drawings? Or is Paper Space a fully editable flatland 2d environment?

Do ArchiCAD layout drawings automatically go into AutoCAD Paper Space layouts? Is there a setting that will convert ArchiCAD Layout Drawings into Plain Vanilla Flatland 2d drawings. Or does that happen more or less by default when you convert to DWG? Is there a difference between using Publisher to convert to DWG and simply saving as DWG?

I get that the translator settings gives you complete control over how the ArchiCAD drawing is converted, but you need to be pretty familiar with AutoCAD to get anywhere with it. I suppose I could learn AutoCAD.... Nah.

Thanks
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
David wrote:
I'm confused about Model Space and Paper Space in AutoCAD and all those years of contemptuously ignoring AutoCAD haven't helped me here. I need to convert the layout drawings from a 3d ArchiCAD model to simple editable 2d DWGs. I want to avoid including any part of the 3d model.

First of all, is Paper Space more or less like our Used-to-be-Plotmaker layout drawings? Or is Paper Space a fully editable flatland 2d environment?

Yes, the AutoCAD Paper Space is the equivalent of the ARCHICAD Layout. It is a digital sheet of paper onto which you place your Views for printing/plotting.
Do ArchiCAD layout drawings automatically go into AutoCAD Paper Space layouts? Is there a setting that will convert ArchiCAD Layout Drawings into Plain Vanilla Flatland 2d drawings. Or does that happen more or less by default when you convert to DWG? Is there a difference between using Publisher to convert to DWG and simply saving as DWG?
This is controlled by the Save Layout Into field. I think what you want is achieved by setting this field to the "Model Space" option, in which case the Layout and its contents will be converted to a simple 2D DWG drawing.

I get that the translator settings gives you complete control over how the ArchiCAD drawing is converted, but you need to be pretty familiar with AutoCAD to get anywhere with it. I suppose I could learn AutoCAD.... Nah.

Thanks

I think you should read this page of the Help Center:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-19-int-reference-guide/user-interface-reference-2/d...

Especially the description of the Save Layout Into, Place Drawings into and Saving Floor Plan fields.

What I would recommend is that you save multiple copies of the Layout, each time with a different Save Layout Into settings. Then open each of these in AutoCAD or some other DWG application and compare the results. Then you will have a good grasp of the differences between the various options.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27