Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export from archicad to JPG / TIFF

ICEdevil
Newcomer
I need help exporting from archicad to a jpg/tiff or any other file to use with Corel Draw. The problem is i can only obtain an image at very low dpi setting, no matter what i change...any ideeas will be appreciated

Thank you,
Dan
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2 GB DDR, Nvidia geforce 6600GT, Win XP SP2
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
The dpi setting is irrelevant.

What counts is the total number of pixels. You will resize the image in Corel Draw to whatever dpi you want.

Is this a rendering or a floor plan?

When I save a floor plan view from ArchiCAD as a TIFF, I get something like 4000 pixels x 3200 pixels. Lots. They are at 72 DPI but so what?

Need more pixels? Got Milk? Where's the Tofu?"

ArchiCAD will always save a floor plan or elevation to the drawing extent. Zoom in to a small part of your drawing and do a "SAVE AS TIFF." It will save to the drawing extent and make more pixels than if you view the drawing extent on your screen.

So that is how to get more pixels...
Dwight Atkinson
ICEdevil
Newcomer
I was trying to export my floor plan...

So this would be the best way of exporting from archicad to tiff? just zoom in? I was expecting a more "scientific" method

...but then again this one works and it's good enough for me... thanx a lot mate.
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
Dwight
Newcomer
Well, you CAN get more scientific.

Here's how I think it works:

ArchiCAD exports an image at 72 DPI, (a long-standing expression of screen resolution largely obsolete because of higher flat screen resolutions of 96-105) relative to the SIZE of the drawing extent as expressed on screen. So, the closer you get, the more pixels get saved.

But, the limit seems to be 4000 pixels.

You'd probably like a sure-fire way to export a predictable drawing size to a scale.

Fuggedaboudit.

The only reliable way I have to control the scale of a pixel export is to make a polyline box of known size around the drawing extent and visually resize as needed.
Dwight Atkinson
ICEdevil
Newcomer
heh...problem is if i zoom at maximum and do a "save as tiff", the image saved is diformed...i have to find an intermediate zoom level...that's why i asked about the "scientific" way
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Would it be better to publish to PDF? It has a max of 1200 dpi. I haven't used Corel though, so don't know if it accepts PDFs.

On a loosely related note, the maximum renders out of AC10 can be 32767 pixels by 32767 pixels!

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
Even though LightWorks allows these new, larger rendering sizes in ArchiCAD 10, they are far from practical. Even a 4048 pixel rendering with many shadows taxes ArchiCAD's RAM.

This is sort of like the speedometer on my car.

260 km/hr. Ha!

Not even on a long downhill stretch on the Coquihalla with my right two-tone tromped firmly to the floorboards.

It's always the wheel balancing (and the promise of mountie radar) that ruins it.
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Even though LightWorks allows these new, larger rendering sizes in ArchiCAD 10, they are far from practical. Even a 4048 pixel rendering with many shadows taxes ArchiCAD's RAM.
Much more than a bunch of dots hey?!
This is sort of like the speedometer on my car.

260 km/hr. Ha!
Or an open bar - there's only so much you can get through before you fall over!:o

Cheers,
Link.
ICEdevil
Newcomer
Link wrote:
Would it be better to publish to PDF? It has a max of 1200 dpi. I haven't used Corel though, so don't know if it accepts PDFs.
Corel doesn't support pdf by default...maybe with some plugin?

But anyway...i exported the corel file as tiff with max resolution and inserted it in archicad...so now i am doing the positioning of the plans directly in archicad, without exporting them...

Do you know a good pdf converter for archicad? The default one gives lots of errors..
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
It's always the wheel balancing (and the promise of mountie radar) that ruins it.
Must have really fast horses over there