Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Export to DWG - warning of viewport not updated

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Everyone! I am experiencing some issues with exporting drawings to DWG, and I'd appreciate any kind of help.

I often have to update the viewports right before I publish the drawings to DWGs in order to get the line color to match with our export template. This means I wasn't able to export in batch with the publisher, because after a while (maybe 5 minutes), Archicad would deem the viewports "outdated" and gives a warning "Following Drawing's content in the ModelSpace may differ from its source View: ...") even though nothing has been modified in the model.
(I use manual update in all of my viewports)
Since I do not have a lot of drawings, I'd do a workaround and update them in small batches (10 drawings at a time) and repeat until I finish exporting all the drawings. It's acceptable since it works and it's manageable.

However, recently, I couldn't even get one drawing exported to DWG without the warning ("Follow Drawing's content..."), even if I did indeed update the viewports SECONDS before I click the publish button. When I see this warning, it means the lines aren't exported in the color we defined in the template. Translator and template was not modified before this issue occur.

Has anyone experienced this before? Thank you very much!
18 REPLIES 18
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you for your quick answer! I sent you the link via private message. Please let me know when the files are ready!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

ClareC
Participant

Did you ever find a fix / work around for this issue? I've just discovered the same problem (Archicad 25 - Solo) 
Thanks - Clare

AC25 | 11th Gen Intel Core i7, 2.50GHz, RAM 16.0 GB, x64

Dear Clare,

Thank you for the question and I am very sorry for the experience!

Fortunately, we received some further information from another case. According to the developer, seems like before exporting to DWG, the DWG In-Out add-on uses an Internal API call which tries to check and update the drawings again, thus every drawing turns back into the "Needs Checking" status. But we are not sure why it happens to some files and doesn't happen to others. We will need to look into the API to check this.

The developer also mentioned that if the drawings have been updated before exporting to DWG, we can ignore this message as there won't be any changes in the model.

I hope this explains the situation, and once again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Hi,

I have encountered the same problem. Not only do I get the error message when exporting DWGs, but when I import the DWG into AutoCAD to check it, the drawing only comes in as a block (with nothing in model space). When I try to import it into Revit the program says that there is no model space information, only 'viewport space' information. I am having to re-scale the block in AutoCAD to the correct scale and then save over my original DWG export! 

I believe the issue has come from saving the project from Archicad 23 to 24. I am new to the software and did this by accident. When I down saved back to 23 I am no longer getting the error message but the DWG is still importing as a block in paper space and nothing is appearing in model space. - I have tried importing another DWG that was exported from the same Archicad drawing a while back and that appears in the model space - all okay. The bug has arrived and stayed since saving the 23 file to Archicad 24.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Thank you very much for the question!

In Archicad, for importing/exporting to DWG, we can control the output result by using the Translators. By default, there are several different translators for different purposes. 

To answer your specific question, we can control how the model and layouts are exported to DWG through the option Save Layout intoTo have the model drawn in Model space, make sure to choose 

• Paper Space with Cropped View’s content

or

• Paper Space with Full View’s content

I hope this helps you with the problem. If there is anything unclear feel free to ask me again!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

So, i came back here, since i still have problems and it's nice to read it was kinda detected, but too bad it doesn't have a solution still.

ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Radeon RX 570 Series 4 GB - 32 gb RAM
st
Booster

Hi,

I have encountered the same problem and I am sorry but I disagree with the developer when he says "we can ignore this message as there won't be any changes in the model", because that bag makes me feel very uncomfordable when expoting my final project and the program says that something may go wrong!

Looking forward for a proper solution!

[AC26 5002 INT FULL • HP Z1 STATION 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 2.10 GHz | 16,0 GB ram • Windows 11 Pro]
CaticonC
Contributor

and also, i don't know if it happens to you, but when using linked views from a BIMcloud file, linetypes scales are lost. So, of course, it's not ok this isn't yet solved

ArchiCAD 24
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Radeon RX 570 Series 4 GB - 32 gb RAM

Hi Minh,

We do face the issue with CAD batch export (publish). And as you suggested above if we ignore the error message then CAD export are never correct. For example, if we publish CAD drawings of multiple sheets with merge option only one (first) layout gets exported in CAD and all other layout are blank and model space in CAD also does not show anything of remining layouts.

Can you please help us resolving this error. As we are facing this issue on large scale projects.