BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Exporting (Saving As) Model as a dwg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been asked to send a 3D Model of a project to another Architectural firm using Autocad 2002. Been able to send 2d stuff to engineers but have never tried 3d information. Is this possible? and if so what are the steps.

Thanks.
Jim
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are several options depending on what they want to do with the model. Some things are easy, some are possible, and then there's the wish list...

You need to find out what they want it for (or if you already know, post it). If it is for rendering then .3DS seems best in my experience. It is also possible that they don't know why they want it (this is actually quite common) in which case it probably doesn't matter. If they want to incorporate the model information into ADT or Revit then there is probably no realistic solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,

Thank you for the quick reply. The homeowners association has hired an independent firm to study the building on the site. So I believe they will take the model and set it on some pictures of the site for the neighbors to look at.

Thanks again,

Jim
Djordje
Ace
jmaul wrote:
I have been asked to send a 3D Model of a project to another Architectural firm using Autocad 2002. Been able to send 2d stuff to engineers but have never tried 3d information. Is this possible? and if so what are the steps.
Open the 3D window with the layer combination that you want on, and Save As.

If they just want to place it into the photo of the location, you can do that as well as they can ... and pick up the fees if any, so why not?

As they basically want it for rendering, 3DS is probably the best option.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Get this, I am placing the building on the site as well but the homeowners association requires an "independent" firm to do a study as well.

Jim
Djordje
Ace
jmaul wrote:
Get this, I am placing the building on the site as well but the homeowners association requires an "independent" firm to do a study as well.
Then give them the model - and if you have the model of the site, so much the better. The homeowners have probably been cheated too many times before ... I know the attitude.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help. I keep trying to (save as) from the floor plan and not the 3d window. Still have a lot to learn!

Thanks again,
Jim
Learn and get certified!