Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Exporting non-load-bearing parts to IFC

PeterPetersen
Booster

Is there a way to export only non-load-bearing parts of composites to IFC? I am looking for an exact opposite of "export core of load-bearing elements only".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There is another possible way of achieving it:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Collaborate-forum/Export-finishings-only-no-structural-elements-...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Not OOTB as a setting, sadly no. But I trick you could employ could be to set the structural load-bearing building materials in your Attributes to "Not participate in Collision Detection"

NathanHildebrandt_1-1670111643338.png

and then adjust your IFC export translator to only export geometries which participate in collision detection.

NathanHildebrandt_0-1670111600918.png

I personally haven't tested it out so can't guarantee that it will work, but it could be something you could test out.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX
PeterPetersen
Booster

Thanks Nathan, that is a good idea. I will give it a try and report back with the results.

Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

There is another possible way of achieving it:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Collaborate-forum/Export-finishings-only-no-structural-elements-...

Nathan - thanks for the idea. In principle this does the trick and is relatively easy and quick to set up. The only issue I see is when a material is once used as structural and once as non-structural e.g. for aesthetic purposes. What we are doing now is sort of moving the "loadbearing TRUE/FALSE" parameter into the material. It is OK as a workaround, but it would be helpful to get an "show all non-loadbearing components" function in Archicad. 

Once again, thanks for a great idea!

PeterPetersen_0-1671029379324.png

Thanks Laszlo - this is a solid workaround, which does not require any adjustments to the material settings (which is a big plus). However it is still prone to the same problem as the solution from Nathan - what happens with materials once used as loadbearing and once as non-loadberaing (for aesthetic purposes)? I cannot see any way around it though. Even if with AC26 the components of a composite can be individually classified (which is great), the classification is done on material basis. Conclusion - the need for an adjustment of material list with loadbearing / non-loadbearing versions of the same material remains. 

An update of partial structure display menu with a "non-load bearing elements only" option, which could also be used for IFC translation would be a tremendous help for working with federated models (and is particularly important in the use-case of material re-use / lifecycle management, where the model data has to be merged and duplications of geometries between federated models avoided). 

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

As far as I am concerned, if a Building Material is used for both Structural and non-Structural purposes, then I would probably create two separate Building Material attributes to handle those situations you mentioned.