Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

FBX or Twinmotion for ArchiCAD 25

When will we see an export option to FBX or Twinmotion for ArchiCAD 25? At the very least, FBX (generic) should be included on the day a new version ships as it has become an industry standard for 3D import into rendering packages.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
15 REPLIES 15
scom570
Contributor
Just updated my model to AC25 but the linking crashes ArchiCAD everytime.
Did uninstall and reinstall of the Datasmith to no avail.

BTW to get the link to work:

Open TM to IMPORT

Open AC model to 3D window. (If you don't see the Datasmith plugin you can activate it from
WINDOW, PALETTES, DATASMITH.)
The refresh icon only activates when in 3D Window.

On TM click IMPORT and Select IMPORT DIRECT LINK

A window pops up that shows the available filename of the AC drawing you have open. Click OK.

Voila, you are connected.

When you want to update the TM, select refresh on DATASMITH toolbar in AC.

Works for me in AC24 but not AC25 which crashes everytime.

Not sure if Datasmith link or direct link is better just yet but I do see how it might be more flexible for UE.
Tim Ball
Expert
I can find the Datasmith add on but when I try to add to the menu bar nothing happens.
Has anyone got a step by step install worked out yet?
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
scom570 wrote:
Just updated my model to AC25 but the linking crashes ArchiCAD everytime.
Did uninstall and reinstall of the Datasmith to no avail.

BTW to get the link to work:

Open TM to IMPORT

Open AC model to 3D window. (If you don't see the Datasmith plugin you can activate it from
WINDOW, PALETTES, DATASMITH.)
The refresh icon only activates when in 3D Window.

On TM click IMPORT and Select IMPORT DIRECT LINK

A window pops up that shows the available filename of the AC drawing you have open. Click OK.

Voila, you are connected.

When you want to update the TM, select refresh on DATASMITH toolbar in AC.

Works for me in AC24 but not AC25 which crashes everytime.

Not sure if Datasmith link or direct link is better just yet but I do see how it might be more flexible for UE.
Hello,

Thank you for the report and I am very sorry to hear about it!

If I understand correctly, the same model doesn't crash when linking AC24 and Twinmotion, but with AC25 it crashes every time? Did you keep the bug ID from one of the crash? I would like to know whether the issue comes from the addon or from Archicad.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

scom570
Contributor

I can try to regenerate the bug ID later today.  WRT Tim Ball's question.  Go to: WINDOWS from pulldown menu, then PALETTES and you will find it at the bottom of the list (at least that is where mine is).

Thank you!

2RA Building Workshop
www.2rabldgworkshop.com

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz. 16.0 GB. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU.
ArchiCAD 25. 5002 USA Full
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast

The lack of FBX format is unfortunately a big step backwards for Archicad users, it's a pity that Epic Games abandoned this format. For example, by linking an FBX file, you can automatically update and sync a model between Achicad and 3DSmax with Corona Render. Maybe Graphisoft would prepare a quick update though?

MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1