Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Failed import of point cloud

Mike96
Advocate

Hi!

I am trying to import a point cloud (E57) in a simple model, but Archicad fails and throws an error that I will try to translate to English:

"Failed inserting object of point cloud KRYSIEWICZA... Press NEXT to continue or Quit to abort."

Mike96_0-1658901590295.png

The model was built in AC 25 POL version.

In most models my clouds get imported properly, but randomly a couple of models end up with this error.

The problem is clearly not about the point cloud file, because it gets improted properly to other Archicad models.

The issue is with this particular Archicad model (attached PLN). It cannot even import a small sample E57 file.

Here you will find some small sample E57 files:

http://www.libe57.org/data.html

What can be the reason of this problem and how can I solve it?

Certainly, I could hotlink or import geometries to a new, fresh Archicad model, import point clouds there and it would work, but I'm not interested in this solution, since it takes too much time with multiple broken models.

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Andrii Levko
Expert

Hi Mike

You don't need import geometries to a new, fresh Archicad model or import point clouds there. You had selected the MISSING layer for the Object Tool before inserting !!! You just need to select the appropriate layer before inserting Point Cloud.Przechwytywanie2.JPGPrzechwytywanie3.JPG

Andrii
AC 8.1 - 27 INT/POL 3001
Win11 | Ryzen 5600 | 16 GB | GTX 1650

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Andrii Levko
Expert

Hi Mike

You don't need import geometries to a new, fresh Archicad model or import point clouds there. You had selected the MISSING layer for the Object Tool before inserting !!! You just need to select the appropriate layer before inserting Point Cloud.Przechwytywanie2.JPGPrzechwytywanie3.JPG

Andrii
AC 8.1 - 27 INT/POL 3001
Barry Kelly

If it is not a problem with the point cloud, but is a problem with the file, then try opening the file with the "Open & Repair" option.

Close the file (leave Archicad running).

Now go to the FILE menu > OPEN > OPEN.

Browse for the file and tick the box to "Open & Repair".

I have no idea if it will actually work, but it can't do any harm - or at least it shouldn't.

Maybe make sure you have a backup of the file somewhere just in case.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Andrii Levko
Expert

You can find out for yourself because after a failed insertion you have an lcf file in the Library Manager. 😉 

Andrii
AC 8.1 - 27 INT/POL 3001
Mike96
Advocate

Thank you all for your suggestions!
Fixing the file did not work, but choosing a layer for object tool DID 🙂
I really think Archicad should consider that and describe the possible solution for this case in error prompt.

ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10

@Andrii Levko How about the following message I received regarding a point cloud file that I tried to import in ArchiCAD 26?:

Mjules_0-1677005486925.png

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

Hi Mjules, I just completed this issue, AC25, .e57 file, the points amount was over the 280 mil limit, I had the guys who did the scan reduce the points per area & cut off some unnecessary data. Works good now!