Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Font substitution at DWG export?

Thomas Holm
Booster
(I moved this question from another topic, where it didn't belong)

When exporting to Autocad, there are many kinds of translation options, for example a STYLE one. However, last time I couldn't find a FONT translation table option. Is it available?

The reason for this is we prefer to use our own beautiful 😉 Postscript font (we bought it) for our drawings. But when exporting, it's easier to use Arial or Arial Narrow for everything, because all PCs have those installed, and no problems arise.

I don't like to have to do this substitution manually all the time. This means that for projects that need exporting, we resort to producing unnecessarily ugly drawings. Not funny. Any ideas?

BTW - I usually export from Archicad, to get "2D model space files" at 1:1 scale. The export is usually for consultant's use.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
Your problem might be fixed by buying/sending a copy of the font to be sent to your consultants (or having them buy it)? If they have it installed in their machines the export will work fine.
Windows can use postcript fonts.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Thomas Holm
Booster
Beside the fact that it's illegal to distribute a copyrighted font, it is also too much hassle to do it, and we want to keep it as private as possible - I'd like it to be kind of a signature.

I'm asking for a FONT substitution translator setting. Should I put it on the wishlist?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Eduardo Rolon
Actually in AutoCAD you can substitute the font using the "style" command quite easily and as long as the spacing is the same as arial or whatever font they choose to use, you might avoid the fonts from jumping around.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Rod Jurich
Contributor
Thomas wrote:
Beside the fact that it's illegal to distribute a copyrighted font, it is also too much hassle to do it,.............
I'm asking for a FONT substitution translator setting. Should I put it on the wishlist?
Thomas, I also have a particular font I use. The attached shows translator with a view of how I export to consultants. I substitute my font with Arial Narrow and therefore reads/looks ok at their end. Click NEW to add. I hope this is answering your query correctly.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |