BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

From Archicad to Rhino : Textures and Texture Mapping

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just opened the Tutorial files for the Third Tutorial Series ( the small house - TS03_complete file ) as a text for something. I am trying to find a good workflow that includes the software I'm experienced with ( Rhino and VRay for Rhino ), with Archicad, and in Parallel, I'm studying Revit and 3DS Max.

The idea is to have one seamless workflow from concept to design to presentation. So far, Archicad is a lot more friendly for architecture work, and quite friendly. And the Rhino connection is a serious plus. I am used to rendering in Rhino, and being able to create the small detail precision designs in Rhino, where I have good experience, is dreamy. And the Grasshopper connection is also a plus.

But when it comes to delivering on the other side, to go back to Rhino, for higher resolution rendering, with VRay, there is a problem, which I'd very much appreciate the community help with. That is:

Even tho the geometry is exported, the textures are missing. The tutorial house comes out as one-color objects. I have tried all the possible Solid/Surface and Mesh/BREP combinations, and if my intent is simply using Rhino instead of 3D Max ( and due to learning curve issues and license issues, it is advantageous to me to use Rhino for Rendering ), texture data is lost.

Testing the same with SketchUp exporting features, all textures are preserved, even in section cuts and Archicad does a beautiful work at that. Even if re-texturing could be something doable for smaller models, such as a small house, the more complex a project gets, the more work intensive this would become. And as objects are grouped in groups and blocks, re-texturing isn't as simples as using layer-based texturing for materials.

On the other hand, running a similar test on Revit also using one of their tutorials, exporting into 3DS Max, for a test render, all textures are preserved. The quantity of rework needed to getting a render right isn't as intensive as the model grows, and perhaps only close-range textures would need to be redone before moving into Photoshop.

Also, the 3DS Max to Unreal or Unity is far simpler and scripted.

I know some may say "Rhino isn't meant as a render software", but it can do, for static imagery, which is all I'm interested in so far, does a good enough job with VRay and Thea Render. Also it's software I already own, not having to acquire new licenses. And as I move closer to graduating into architecture, workflow becomes something to be aware since my intention is to start as a small practice. And it helps me to have a two-software solution that could integrate fully.

So.... does Archicad export its textures to Rhino models? If so, is there any tutorials that can help me solve this problem, beyond the material Graphisoft already made available? Is there some extra step inside of Rhino that I am missing?

There might also be the case Archicad doesn't export material textures to Rhino models, I could not find online after a whole hour searching, either confirmation or denial of that. I guess the main focus of the Rhino/Archicad integration is GDL creation, and Grasshopper integration, which I already use. But the move back, for finished renders, is of great importance to me, if anyone can help me in this, I'll be immensely grateful

Thank you all for your help,

Jessica
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
And Cinerender inside Archicad... it doesn't make sense for me to add small non-architectural objects to Archicad. Even tho when it comes to chairs and other floor layout objects they do make sense, things such as posters on walls, replacing a standard bed for a high poly bed with wrinkled blankets on top, pillows out of place, slippers on the floor, shampoo bottles on the bathroom, grafitti on walls and so on... for me it doesn't make sense to add them on Archicad.

Also, Cinerender, as far as I could not figure out, is not CUDA accelerated, so, VRay and Thea will provide a much much faster output in render time. I'm just wondering about re-texturing an object that, upon material selection on Archicad, received already a material texture, that would be pretty good at distance renders or in the shade, and maybe be updated for a higher res texture in close-by areas, but not completely redone on the whole model.
Anonymous
Not applicable
UPDATE:

It seems individual faces are textured ( exporting as Faces and Mesh when testing this ), but they render as one single solid color until all groups were ungrouped, and then exploded. Now I am not sure if this is a grouping issue ( never had this problem with groups and blocks )... or a Rhino problem. Will continue Tinkering... if anyone has done this process before, help is welcomed
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the sake of rendering and outputting the render to engines such as VRay and Thea... it would be an immense time saver to be able to have Archicad create either sub-layers for each Archicad layer based on material texture ( with the texture name, so we could perhaps mass assign things such as glass or plaster textures ).

But yes, the textures are here, just weird for some reason, it needed ungrouping and exploding before they started effectively showing during render ( both internal Rhino render or Thea... VRay for some reason seems to be ignoring said textures ).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Quick Update...

I have made this small video of the training series model in Rhinocerous 6, for testing VRay's latest release for Rhino 6. The texture problem is a VRay problem it seems, but here are a few examples of textures working, and also, viewport options in Rhino that can also give good output for Archicad models in Rhino. I hope you all will enjoy this, thank you for your time helping me in this matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjF15PJSu7o
Learn and get certified!