Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

From Vectorworks to Archicad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I am considering switching from Vectorworks Architect (International) to Archicad.

Can anyone share a similar experience?
Where did you have most difficulties?
Are there different language versions including localized packages?

I am an European architect in DE, standard praxis, BIM Professional (TU München). I can use Vectorworks well (maintained for years a programming site for Vectorscript and such things) and would love to learn GDL too, at one point.
24 REPLIES 24
Sunny75
Booster
We switched from Vectorworks to Archicad 1 year ago, and did not regret it at all. There is a learning curve, sure, but working in 3d is so much more intuitive.
runxel
Legend
There are localized versions, including a german one. There is even a german forum. The localized version also come with slightly different libraries, filled with objects (think of symbols in VW terms), including windows and doors. Most offices build their own libraries over time.

There are some small differences, like Archicad has no classes, only layers. But most people are confused by VW's system anyhow, so it's rather easy to switch this way then the other way around.
In general you will feel at home quite fast. Also working in 3D is now an easy and fun thing to do.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
It depends on how you're using Vectorworks at the moment (either primarily as a 2D drafting and documenting tool or as a (quasi-) BIM 3D modeling and documentation tool like they seem to be trying to drive the program to be).

Having worked with firms that use it in either of those two ways (and sometimes in an unholy mix of the two), I'd posit that it's more straightforward and inuitive a switch if you're currently using or trying to use it as a BIM tool (rather than a CAD drafting tool) - for the simple reason that ArchiCAD has always natively been a 3D BIM virtual designing tool from the offset whereas Vectorworks is trying too adapt to become one or be transformed into one from the very capable 2D drafting and documenting tool it's always been known as.

Yes, some of the differences are stark and harder to grasp when you're going in either direction (but typically and usually easier to go from Vectorworks to ArchiCAD, especially if you're working in 3D) such as the lack of the 3 hierarchical system that Vectorworks has (Classes, Design Layers and Sheet Layers). ArchiCAD only has layers, much like AutoCAD in this regard, but layers in ArchiCAD are more akin to Classes in Vectorworks rather than Design Layers (while it isn't a direct equivalence, the closest equivalent of Design Layers in ArchiCAD, would be somewhere between saved views and actual storeys/levels. But you don't think like that or work like that in ArchiCAD), and Sheet Layers in Vectorworks are straight equivalents of Sheets and Sheet layouts in ArchiCAD.

Outside of these major distinctions is just the little quirks and small differences predicated on how you work differently in th 2 programs.
ArchiCAD has a lot of tools and little hidden tricks that make working in it more intuitive IMO and help you along once you get used to the system (although I will admit there are somethings in Vectorworks that I do wish we had in ArchiCAD). It's also vastly more stable (when they do get it right in their version releases), of the 3 major BIM programs I've worked with (Revit, ArchiCAD and Vectorworks)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your kind answers so far.

I would prefer an English version, I work in Germany since a gazillions of years but am not German and cannot even write German acceptably, that was why I asked.

I use VW to the limit, 2D, 3D, BIM, programming, the whole of it. The main reason for me to wish to change is the lack of quality in the architectural plugins and the strong limits for anything spanning outside a single document structure. VW has an amazing core, it's like a Ferrari, but without weels and you order the weels, but they never come. In decades. Ever.

I am aware of the quality in Archicad's architectural plug-ins. No need to praise that.
I would be interested to hear your experience in the logistic of middle to large projects.

How do you organise your project structure? For example: you are working on planning, on permits and on constructive drawings (I think you call that documentation) at the same time. You need lots of drawings and they have different attributes sets. How do you set this up?
runxel
Legend
_c_ wrote:
I would prefer an English version, I work in Germany since a gazillions of years but am not German and cannot even write German acceptably, that was why I asked.
You can always go with the International version, which comes in English.
But again, have in mind that the so called libraries with objects (and also some features) are tied to the language versions. E.g. the german version has a special "Wohnungsstempel" and "Flächenberechnungs-Addon" which is engineered towards the german administrative demands.
Btw: How big's your office? The recommendation might change with your size.

_c_ wrote:
How do you organise your project structure? For example: you are working on planning, on permits and on constructive drawings (I think you call that documentation) at the same time. You need lots of drawings and they have different attributes sets. How do you set this up?
That's a strength of Archicad. All this can live in the same place, every bit of information can be in your file.
Archicad has a very flexible way, where you have one model, and then you generate so called views (german: "Ausschnitte") from that. Those views have settings associated with them and you can tweak them however you like. Those settings include everything, from scale over dimensioning units and floor plan cut plane, to LOD and graphic override (how hings should look) – and actually a ton more.

Those views in turn can be placed on layouts which in turn can be published semi-autonomously. Once this is set up you can generate permission documents, DWGs, renderings, and much more by one single click.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
Anonymous
Not applicable
To tell you the truth, one of the main reasons to leave VW is that I don't like all in the same file. On large or long lasting projects this is not efficient.

Let's say take the most basic example: a floor plan (Grundriss).
You have a very large floor, and this should display in various layouts from 1:200, to 1:100, 1:50, in portions or in its entirety (LP3 bis 5). Perhaps it is so large that you must display it parts.

Where do you place the dimensions?
In the singular layouts or together with the geometry?
Please note that the fact that you have to cut the plan in portions is relevant in this case.

I will download the 30 days demo in December, when I'll have more time and try everything out, but I'd love to hear the experience of long term users before that.

BTW, the last time I saw Archicad it was called Radar...
runxel
Legend
_c_ wrote:
To tell you the truth, one of the main reasons to leave VW is that I don't like all in the same file. On large or long lasting projects this is not efficient.
As with most things: It depends.
But yes, splitting projects is no problem either. In most cases you will use a process called "hotlinking". As I said Archicad is flexible enough to handle the smallest to the biggest projects (the second tallest building in the world is planned with Archicad).

_c_ wrote:
Where do you place the dimensions?
In the singular layouts or together with the geometry?
Please note that the fact that you have to cut the plan in portions is relevant in this case.
You never work in the layout in Archicad. All work is done right next to the geometry.
Typically you would do different dimensions in different scales. They will reside on their own layers. Hiding and showing things is determined by the display attribute of the layer the object is on.
In the layout you place the drawings ("views") and then you can cut them into place there.
Brett Brown
Advocate
_c_ wrote:

The main reason for me to wish to change is the lack of quality in the architectural plugins

I am aware of the quality in Archicad's architectural plug-ins. No need to praise that.
As someone who is using Vectorworks more and Archicad less, I'm intrigued to know what you mean by both these statements above? To be clear what do you mean by the Vectorworks plugins? And what do you mean Archicads architectural plugins?

By the lack of answers from people going from Vectorworks to Archicad, seems more are going the other way from what I have read on the Vectorworks forums.

As Runxel has said, most of the good plugins are country-specific, so the rest of us who would dearly need them, are out of luck because of Graphisofts closed society mentality.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows, Doors, Slab, Structural Member, Roof, Walls, etc.
In VW they are to be found in the Plug-ins folder and are thus called plug-ins. Architectural plug-ins, in this case, since their target group is architects. These are rather poor. Some, like the Roof, are truly relics of the '80es.

As of the VW forum, or any forum, please mind that there are group dynamics that make a forum give an impression which isn't the reality. I won't enter a discussion VW <> AC now. I am sure you also agree that is fruitless.