BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

From Vectorworks to Archicad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I am considering switching from Vectorworks Architect (International) to Archicad.

Can anyone share a similar experience?
Where did you have most difficulties?
Are there different language versions including localized packages?

I am an European architect in DE, standard praxis, BIM Professional (TU München). I can use Vectorworks well (maintained for years a programming site for Vectorscript and such things) and would love to learn GDL too, at one point.
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, this isn't what I meant, for us annotations is something placed in layouts. This could be anything: dimensions, text items, extra 2D geometry added to generated sections, etc.
You'd need to contact the reseller directly. Since this is not a very typical request I am not aware of any comparisons between language versions.
I asked because in the present forum I read often that AC offers different packages for the different environments and apparently there are differently attractive objects. I am trying to understand if there is something like a "core" package where the localisations build up upon or if every country is fully detached.

And if there are price differences.
In VW the German version is very good, but is in German , and is rather expensive. International offices don't buy it because of the language, though. The users are in large part trainees, there is a huge turn-over and the language barrier doesn't go away.

Basically many ask for the possibility to pick the best from the various distribution areas. The same wish is present in AC, I noticed.
Brett Brown
Advocate
There are 2 versions of Archicad, Full (teamwork) and Solo. Solo is about half the price of the full version with the only differences are not having Teamwork capabilities, Cinema 4D rendering engine and Hotlink/X-ref capabilities. The Solo version is only available in these counties, UK, USA, Brasilia, South Korea, Hong Kong and in Japan.

If you don't live in those countries and want the Solo version you can purchase it from some resellers there. Even some other countries add-ons are sometimes open to foriegn purchasers but not many. There has been a change in the Graphisoft polices in this regard so will be interesting to see if they take advantage of this.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
runxel
Legend
_c_ wrote:
No, this isn't what I meant, for us annotations is something placed in layouts. This could be anything: dimensions, text items, extra 2D geometry added to generated sections, etc.
None of that would be placed on a layout by a typical Archicad user. There are just better ways for this.

I am trying to understand if there is something like a "core" package where the localisations build up upon or if every country is fully detached.

And if there are price differences.

Basically many ask for the possibility to pick the best from the various distribution areas. The same wish is present in AC, I noticed.
I guess at some point Graphisoft has to revisit their strategy, but at the moment you have to ask the resellers.
The only thing that is not part of the "core" (if you want to call it that way) is the library. The library with it's objects is localized and some regions have some special objects (e.g. NA uses completely different windows, not known in Europe). But they are mostly identical.
The next thing that differs are the OOTB templates – but every office normally makes their own template.

Regarding what Brett mentioned: There are actually three versions: Full, Solo, and Star(T). E.g. Germany doesn't have the Solo Version, instead its the Star(T) version. But that one isn't really recommendable, so you're down to one version again.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you.
VW's annotations and so called special groups are an increasing nuisance. That's the main reason for many to want to leave.
mthd
Ace

A very interesting post, it also depends greatly on the type and scale of work you are doing from what I can see from both platforms.

Nemetschek owns both brands, so why can’t they put the best of VW in the package as an add on for Archicad full subscribers ? 

I don’t know that much about VW but to me it’s desirable because AC is getting way too commercial for my practice and needs.

I think it’s too late for me to go to VW but I do like some things about it so far.

Nice to know that some people here have used both.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!