BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script?

zoli79
Booster
This is one of my frustrations and I am wondering if anyone has any solution for it.
Problem 1. As far as I know ArchiCAD can't search across full project, only from floor plans. Same goes for schedules. If you have hundreds of details, sections, elevations, so on, that can be a problem.
Problem 2. Library manager does not tell me where the selected library element is placed. Or did I miss something? (If it's in an attribute it does tell me the surface name e.g.)

Here are two real-life tasks that illustrate the problem:
TaskA.
I come up with a new pen set and I want to replace all lines using #123 to use # 3. Again: I have hundreds of details. (With other attribute types this is not a big issue: delete and replace)

TaskB
I am converting my AC 20 template file to 21. I get a dozen or two elements (with a few hundred placed instances) from the migration library. Call me an idiot, but I do not want anything loaded from the migration library in the template file. So in some cases I might replace objects, markers, notes etc. manually / semi-manually. But first I need to know where they are. If they are on floor plans: very nice, if they aren't, then I have a very frustrating job for weeks...

Anyone has any solution for these? I would imagine that someone knowledgeable in scripting could open the pln in script format and tinker with the DNA. Is that possible? If so, I would consider outsourcing the task. But of course it would be better, if there were an option for the rest of us architects without hacking skills.

Has this been covered in another thread? I did take some time to search, but no results.
macOS Ventura, ArchiCAD 26 - USA version
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
For the B thing you can schedule the elements (if you are talking about objects) and put the home story and layer in the schedule. From there you can quickly select them. Do it in 3D window so you can replace them in bunch. For 2D object you have to go story-by-story.

You can filter the name of the object to have the previous archicad version in it, in migration library the objects are named like this as I remember correctly : "Window 19"
So just put in the filter to have 19 in the name and it will list all object.
zoli79
Booster
I might have not expressed myself clearly enough, but the problem is that the schedule only reports objects that were placed in the model - or how to put it. Items that can be seen on a floor plan.
The problem is that many objects are placed on details, worksheets, and the schedule does not report those objects. Unless I've missed something.
Eduardo Rolon
You are correct, only objects placed in the model will show up in the schedule. By definition worksheets and details are "dumb" views which convert Model Data to 2D elements (lines and fills) which cannot be part of the schedule.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JaseBee
Advocate
This (issue b) is one of my biggest pet hates with archicad right now!

There is a way to run SQL queries on a plan file that could (partially) solve your problem, at least then you'll have a list of where the objects are. I think it's in the calculate menu (you'll have to enable it in the work environment) it's just called "SQL query" from memory. I'm not up to speed on sql so you'll have to figure out your query.

The other way (and what I'm looking at doing) is a pretty heavy handed approach. I am building up my own custom library, and I've put in some write out scripts to dump useful object data to a text file that can in turn be read by excel.

Both methods are a static output though and you still have to go find and change things yourself.

Seriously graphisoft schedule worksheets/elevations/layouts everything, it's all useful to someone.

And while you're at it, labels too please!
AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram
zoli79
Booster
Thanks! I'll look into calculations / SQL queries. I've wondered where it went - I recall it used to be in the default menu, but never really got into it.
Barry Kelly
SQL is no longer supported.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=58300

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
zoli79
Booster
Great! Perfect timing to learn something.
As I browsed through the thread you linked it seems that it still works in 20. Since the issue is about migrating a project from 20 to 21 it still could be valuable - for now...
Barry Kelly
Yes, but it has been unsupported since version 18 - so I would use with caution.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!