Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Functions: beam length and column height -> value

KNA
Participant
Hello,
I have a schedule that has properties from both beams and columns. I would like to have a column in the schedule that represents either beam lenght or column height depenging on which one is on the row. I used (STRTONUM(STRCALCUNIT... to get numbers from both element types but do I use to get the schedule to show the number in both cases? The logical sentence is something like "if value is "--" then show the other value and vice versa... )
Thanks!
KN
6 REPLIES 6
Podolsky
Ace
Your property expression probably must have this logical structure:

IF element=column THEN value=column height ELSE IF element=beam THEN value=beam length

Check which exactly commands you need to use. I'm not sure, that converting string to number can help you somehow.
KNA
Participant
Thanks!

I got it to work by using two rows with the following (I´m using Finnish version, so not sure about the trasnlations).

IF (element="column"; columnheight; 0 m)
IF (element="beam"; beamlenght; 0 m)

I was just wondering is there a way to have this in one logical structure like you wrote -> how do you use ELSE IF as a command? I tried IF (element="column"; columnheight; beamleght) but it didn´t work.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
An easier way to combine them is:
Data Type = Length
Expression.
- add 2 items to the list, one is Beam "3D Length" and the second is Column "Height"

Then assign this new Property to just Beams and Columns (classification).
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Podolsky
Ace
You can use IFS instead of IF. IFS let to have several conditions:

IFS ( LogicalCondition 1, Value1, [LogicalCondition2, Value2],...)

IFS (element='column', columnheight, element='beam', beamlength)

Actually, strange why IF (element='column', columnheight, beamlength) is not working. Logically here everything correct - if element is not column, then it shows length of beam.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I just tried this and if you use the "3D Length" general parameter it will return the correct value for both Columns and Beams, even if they are inclined. So I think there is no need for expressions or even new Properties, you can just use the "3D Length" general parameter in your schedule.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jl_lt
Ace
KNA wrote:
Hello,
I have a schedule that has properties from both beams and columns. I would like to have a column in the schedule that represents either beam lenght or column height depenging on which one is on the row. I used (STRTONUM(STRCALCUNIT... to get numbers from both element types but do I use to get the schedule to show the number in both cases? The logical sentence is something like "if value is "--" then show the other value and vice versa... )
Thanks!
KN
Hi, im wondering, why just not have a schedule for beams and another one for columns?