Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Glass Area x Property Manager

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi! i'm working on a budgeting project and i need to know the glass area in order to calculate the total cost of the glass surfaces, but i can't seem to find any parameter related to that. there is a ifc property on the door settings though, called "GlazingAreaFraction" but i can't use it on property manager to create expressions. so, is there a way to calculate the glass area of a window? is it possible to work with the ifc properties on the property manager? can i create a new archicad property/parameter related to the glass area and use it on the property manager to create expressions?

also, what can i do when an archicad property/parameter doesn't show on the property manager? this one, for example. i think it translates to "exposed area".

2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't think it is possible to exactly calculate Glass areas. The main reason is that Doors and Windows are GDL-based element types so the glass area would be returned as a library part parameter. While it is possible to schedule Library part parameters, they are not available for Properties.
So, in such I case, I would try to use an approximation value. For example, you could define a Property called "Door/Window Glazing Ratio", which you could assign a value of something like 0.8 or 0.85, or similar, and you would use an expression to calculate the Glass area by multiplying the sum of the width and height of the Door/Window with the Door/Window Glazing Ratio. That would give you a value that you can work with.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
martinij
Booster

This is a bummer...

So there are no way you can get information from a gdl-object/door/window into the property manager? Just to know if a door has glass or not would be useful.

Martin Isak Jansen
(I'm the one everyone at my company asks the tech questions)
www.artec.no