Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Glazed Area

Electric Flute
Booster
I need to calculate glazed area of windows and doors in each zone of my project. It is quite simple with windows, the Windows Surface Area parameter does the job. But not with doors, since there is glazed area just with doors made with glass leafs, not with internal wood doors.

So, Glazed Area of a zone is not just a sum of Windows Surface Area and Doors Surface Area, its quite more complex. I have made a search on this Forum, and found the gs_list_glassarea parameter, but seems its not working with windows AC22.

Page 86 of ArchiCAD 22 New Feature Guide shows Glazed Area field (see image attached), but it its just the sum of windows and doors surface area. So, not usable at all!

Graphisoft, is it possible to have TRUE Glazed Area?
AC26 > AC5 - Win10
4 REPLIES 4
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
With the way most door leaf objects work, I doubt it.

You could try creating a surface schedule for the glass surface used, but I know that with graphic override (for example) archicad tends to see doors/windows as one base surface, so that might not work either. You might get double the numbers too, if it schedules both sides as surface.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Electric Flute
Booster
Thanks Erwin for the reply.

So, the BIM inside and out advertise is not able to get glazed areas.
AC26 > AC5 - Win10
Electric Flute
Booster
Hello,

My name is Nikoletta Csak, and I am contacting you from Technical Support Team at GRAPHISOFT.
Thank you for sharing your case with us.

Indeed it needs additional efforts to calculate the glazed area for doors, since there is no option to exclude non-glazed ones from calculations based on their surface.
Getting a really accurate calculation is even more difficult, when door leaf is only partly made of glass and therefor we cannot count with the opening’s nominal sizes. The precise area of glazing can be found for each door under its own Selection Settings/Descriptions…/Total Glazed Area. Unfortunately currently it is not possible to list this value in schedules or in labels as AutoText directly, however we can use the information to create a new property.

What I think of as a possible solution might only be sensible if there are only a few different door types in the project. In this case I would look up the true glazed area and create two new properties.
One of them would be an option set named “glazing type” with options “glazing 1”, “glazing 2” etc. This needs then to be set for each door manually.
The second property would have following logic, where values 1,70; 1,14; and 0,00 stand for each door type’s glazed area:

IF ( glazing type = "glazing 1"; 1,70; ( IF ( glazing type = "glazing 2"; 1,14; ( IF ( glazing type = "glazing 1"; 0,00; 0 ) ) ) ) )

Please remember to set both property’s availability for classification “Door”

After all above is set up, I would create a Surfaces Scheme with following criteria:
Element Type is Door
And following fields:
- To Zone Number
- Type and/or Element ID (or any other field which helps you to identify the openings)
- W/D Opening Nominal Surface Area
- both newly created properties

Optionally, if you set up the same property “glazing type” for the windows as well, then all openings can be included in the same list.

Please let me know if this helps or any further support is needed

Best regards,
Nikoletta

Csák, Nikoletta
Technical Support Engineer
AC26 > AC5 - Win10
Barry Kelly
Electric wrote:
The precise area of glazing can be found for each door under its own Selection Settings/Descriptions…/Total Glazed Area. Unfortunately currently it is not possible to list this value in schedules or in labels as AutoText directly, however we can use the information to create a new property.

If the total glazed area is available as a parameter in the door object, then it can be listed in a schedule.
The question is, is this parameter available for all door objects? - I don't actually use the Graphisoft doors so I can't say for sure.
I don't think this parameter will be available to the zone stamp for zone schedules and certainly isn't available to expressions in properties as we can't access object parameters.

But here I just tried with 'Door 22' in a door schedule and the glazed area can be displayed.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11